Coolio! Dive shop in West Seattle again!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I have to say, is that it's a big F'ing rip off. $25.00 to VIP a tank, and that goes to $32.00 by NOV 1st 2008. Rip Off !!!!! Somebody needs to put a decent dive shop into Alki, not this band-aid on a bullet hole. The shop is a joke....due to the prices. My Bauer compressor was in the shop, and I'll go back online to download VIP stickers.... VIP at UW Sports is $13.00...., and that's high to crack the valve off the tank and drop a penlight into it. No industry standard for some 18 year old scoobydoo to VIP a tank. I only used Pac Rim as they were convenient...didn't realize that they rip divers off due to location. I teach out at Alki #2 all year long. I'll make sure that I let my students know that they're getting robbed at this Hole in the wall.
- West Seattle

I am not a fan of this shop, but I think the $25 fee for a VIP is not outrageous. Having sat through the PSI tank inspection course, there is a fair amount of education and judgment that goes into being able to evaluate a tank carefully, and some equipment purchase for the shop that's involved, too.

I don't know what I have been paying for a VIP, because it disappears into the overall flow of money from my pocket into the dive shop. I don't use that shop for my VIPs. But a VIP is not an 18 year old scoobydoo looking into your tank.

Surf, ya should of went to underwatersports, the alki diveshop is spendy, last month when I stopped by mark was still unorganized and look to be still putting the shop together.

Mark is a diver and the shop is not run by divers that do not dive. (I do not know any employees). That said, could be the shop is run on limited manpower.

I put together Jim's shop years ago, Air fills and small forgot to bring dive things is what sold, the number one thing that they had to rent was the undergarmet.

If marks rent is $1000.00, Elec is $500.00, the rest is $500.00, the average of $100.00 a day for the month has to be profit in sales. Air sales can pay the $2000.00, but what about the employee or owner they have to live too, and get to work.

Surf it would be easy for a shop to move there with a customer based of loyalty, well thats what mark is trying, reality is people go the close shop and travel to dive.

By the way deep fathom supply at 8156 28th ave sw seattle wa 98126. 206 697 2853. Has sent me a flyer a while back. jim and Phyllis are back in the dive shop buisness.

Although I see your point Surf, the answer to the solution is there will never be a dive shop that is going to make it on alki unless they have higher prices,(It could be twice what I quoted for the alki shop to pay monthly bills)There,s always another shop to go to that you will fit in.

Happy Diving

For what it's worth (no pun intended) I pay $12 for VIP's.

I feel I need to post a positive report of Pacific Rim Aquatics...The shop caters to the DIR crowd, although Mark is very laid-back if you're not a DIR diver. I had my HP100s vis'd, O2 cleaned (the previous VIP used silicone grease while I watched...ARRGHH!!! One of those was done at Underwater Sports) and filled with 32% for $25. I think that's a very fair price, considering even the Boeing scuba club charges $10 for a vis and that supposedly is at cost. Add in O2 clean solvent and a nitrox fill and $25 is a deal.

Are the list prices somewhat high? Maybe. But, they only sell really high-quality gear (Halcyon, Atomic, DUI, etc). I've had much better customer service and prices on new gear than my experiences at Underwater Sports. Plus, when Mark recommends some gear, you know he's probably gone diving with it, and he's done some serious stuff (Admiral Sampson, SS Governor, cave diving with the WKPP, etc). I've never felt like he's selling something...Only giving personal recommendations. I'd much rather have Mark's opinion on gear from his personal use at 360' than some new DM at US pushing some split fins and a Spare Air. Mark also has some really good sales from time to time (better prices than I've been able to find on the internet at Leisure Pro or some other site).

You could say he's earned my business...And I consider myself a serious cheapskape.

I believe he means it the "new" gear has occasionally been used. See Fishstiq's thread on the other board. Others have had similar experiences.

man everytime i go into any dive shop i see so many ways they can be making more money. makes me want to open up a shop of my own. im certainly no MBA but it seems dive shop owners need to go to some school or something....

Back
Top Bottom