Cooling tanks while filling...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it also has a lot to do with the operation.If you are only filling 5 tanks a day you can take your time, check the pressures, cool it down,top up etc.

But when you are pumping flat out all day, water baths are just a pain in the butt, most times we just overfill hot by a predetermined bit and away the diver gos - granted this is in a commercial operation, not paying recreational divers, but if the tanks a few bar under when cool, ............!!??

As for your question is it bad for the tank by wet filling, not if its done properly its not, as has been suggested, if care is taken there is no detrimental effect the tank experiences by wet filling.

A point that just popped to mind is that filling a tank completely submerged, could, and I say could, have a slight safety point factor if the cylinder blew or popped, although I imagine it will be quite negligable.

Personally I dont intend to try prove the theory either.!

A point that just popped to mind is that filling a tank completely submerged, could, and I say could, have a slight safety point factor if the cylinder blew or popped, although I imagine it will be quite negligable.

Personally I dont intend to try prove the theory either.!

No, it does not what so ever. Water is basically incompressible and will transfer all the energy directly to the outer container…you could actually end up with more shrapnel or projectile matter.

Naval underwater explosives are not design for direct contact with a target; the water will transfer the energy (shock wave) just fine…capable of hitting a much larger target.

Last edited:
No, it does not what so ever. Water is basically incompressible and will transfer all the energy directly to the outer container…you could actually end up with more shrapnel or projectile matter.

Naval underwater explosives are not design for direct contact with a target; the water will transfer the energy (shock wave) just fine…capable of hitting a much larger target.

Yes, your point makes perfect sense. I was just pondering if the water would have some kind of cushioning effect, but yup, then it would be quite possible you could pop the water bath as well, all that energy has to go somewhere.?

Last edited:

I was just about to mention torpedoes but Luis got to it first...

Some of my best insta-fills have been first thing in the morning in the fall when the shop banks were full and cold and my tanks were chilly as well.

Nice comment but no go,when I fill your tank,or any other,you'll have atleast 220bar at the divesite.:D 230+ is more likely.Year round,just do it Slooooow.

The torpedo thing - yes and no.

Contact exploders are less effective as they detonate against the side of a target with little containment of the blast from above. Having the the torpedo detonate under the target does far more damage as it pushes the water up from under the target (lifting it) and then the void created by the explosion collapses and the ship basically breaks its back with the center of the vessel "falling" into the resulting hole. The ship and the water above the warhead act much like a sandbag on top of or behind an exlposive charge - it helps concentrate the force of the blast.

The question in a water bath would be whether the energy is adequate to rupture the container before the energy is dissipated upwards by moving all the water up and out through the path of least resitance.

If you built a strong enough water bath with enough open surface area, you'd have some control and re-direction of the blast, although all that energy is still going to go somewhere until it is fully transferred to something else - in this case much of it is ideally converted to kinetc energy in the form of moving water. If the sides fail however, then you just have more shrapnel.

The water baths I've seen don't have enough water ( thermal capacity ) to effectively cool the cylinder during a fill.

I prefer my tanks be dry filled as Bill High says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom