Coolest creatures you've seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coolest: An octopus scuttling along and instantly changing from pale brown to jet black when somebody took a flash picture of the poor thing. Probably not a great experience for the octo, but amazing to see. Also, pygmy seahorse, just because it's quite likely I'll never see one again.

Wishlist: Big stuff - hammerheads, manta, whale shark. Hoping to cross whale shark off list in Kenya next week.

1 I seen a spotted Eagle ray that was playing in the water, swimming in circles, doing loops, jumping out of the water, and putting on an incredible show. All the other times I saw them they were slow moving and graceful, this one was having fun.

2 I seen an ocean sunfish close up. I could of reached out and touched him but I didn't want to scare him.

3 a sturgeon face on a few inches from my mask. I didn't know what it was as the time, it looked like a prehistoric shark and it scared me.

4 Huge Jew fish, I thought I could of swam into his mouth.

There is many more and I can't wait to see them. This is why I love diving.

4 Huge Jew fish, I thought I could of swam into his mouth.

I'd never heard of a Jew fish, I'm obviously too PC. Here's what the wiki says:

The goliath grouper or itajara (Epinephelus itajara) is a large saltwater fish of the grouper family. It was formerly known as the jewfish; however, in 2001 the American Fisheries Society made the decision to change the name to the less objectionable "goliath grouper".

I'd never heard of a Jew fish, I'm obviously too PC. Here's what the wiki says:

The goliath grouper or itajara (Epinephelus itajara) is a large saltwater fish of the grouper family. It was formerly known as the jewfish; however, in 2001 the American Fisheries Society made the decision to change the name to the less objectionable "goliath grouper".

I have a Portuguese friend and when he found out they changed the name he said what about the Portuguese man of war. He also said it is a privilege to have a creature named after you. I will call it a Jew fish meaning no disrespect.

PS I knew I would get called on this.
Dennis

Coolest creature I've seen is "The Thing." Yes, that's its real name. Here's a pic of the one I saw during the day off Curacao. Had 5-10 sec to snap the shot before it slithered out of sight. About 3-4 ft are in view. I never saw the head.

Attachments

• The Thing2.jpg
    The Thing2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 98
Starfish. They come in different colors and sizes(so do a lot of other creatures, I suppose, but they are so awesome)

A creature I have not seen myself, but saw in pictures on ScubaBoard, would have to be the Nudis :D I could not find the thread with the pictures that got me hooked, but here a a site with some great pics>>> nudibranch gallery

Not the most awe-inspiring, but the red-lipped batfish is the wildest creature Ive encountered. These guys walk on their pectoral fins when they go slow, and "scoot" with their lateral fins when they are spooked. Seriously resemble missing link.

I apologize for the photography skill (or lack thereof)

Wetvet

Attachments

• Redlipped Batfish 2.jpg
    Redlipped Batfish 2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Redlipped Batfish.jpg
    Redlipped Batfish.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 66
Not the most awe-inspiring, but the red-lipped batfish is the wildest creature Ive encountered. These guys walk on their pectoral fins when they go slow, and "scoot" with their lateral fins when they are spooked. Seriously resemble missing link.

I apologize for the photography skill (or lack thereof)

Wetvet

Wow! the batfish is cool! It reminds me of the first time I saw an ocean sunfish (mola mola), I thought there was something terribly wrong with it. Here is a site with some great pictures of the ocean sunfish: Ocean Sunfish (Mola mola) Photographs, Phillip Colla Natural History Photography

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom