converting a halogen bulb to a LED bulb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawlings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hay all here is what I am looking to do . I have a canister light that has a 10w and 20w halogen MR11 bulbs . I would like to change them to a LED equivalent bulbs. Is this possible to just swop them with an equivalent bulb (plug-n-play). If so what would the equivalent LED bulb be . I do not know a lot about Led BULBS have looked at a couple sights and have not been able to figure the exchange . [lease could some one help

Last edited:
No, I do not think you can, not in the high power types we are talking about. I have made a few conversions (not HID type) and I simply replaced the entire assembly fabbing whatever parts I needed. The reflector is one issue in that most reflectors intended for a bulb or element are more shallow (because the element is usually above rather than recessed). As well, there needs to be a ballast, heat sink and LEDs are polarity sensitive.

N

Matey - a quick google of "MR11 LED replacement" brings up lots of results.....

however....

a (Good)10W halogen can put out around 250 Lumens - 20W/500 lumens.....
and i am guessing your original reflector puts out quite a directional beam....

None of the drop-ins i found would match the original in terms of intensity or useful beam.

You could get something like this:

UltraFire XPG R5 1-Mode 450-Lumen Smooth Aluminum Drop-in Module - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

and try to make it fit......you will just need to find a way to get the heat out to the water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom