Question Converting a gift to a travel BP/W for Warm water destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, I recall from setting up the Freedom Contour Plates that lining up the holes was a starting point when looking for Wings, but slipped my mind, so I’ll measure, then check other manufacturers.
I really wanted to discern between roughly 18lb and 23lb for flexibility in diving situations. Another thing I’ve read on SB was that 18lb would not give enough lift to get head completely out of water and in “frisky seas” this might be less than comfortable. Thoughts?
18lb is enough for me, 6’5” 235lb and now I use even less with the outlaw, the 23 is there for people who just can’t believe that 18 is fine but it’s not much bigger and if it brings comfort it’s worth it.

Thank you, I recall from setting up the Freedom Contour Plates that lining up the holes was a starting point when looking for Wings, but slipped my mind, so I’ll measure, then check other manufacturers.
I really wanted to discern between roughly 18lb and 23lb for flexibility in diving situations. Another thing I’ve read on SB was that 18lb would not give enough lift to get head completely out of water and in “frisky seas” this might be less than comfortable. Thoughts?
It depends on how thick a suit and how much lead you have on. If you’re using s 3 mil and weight yourself accordingly, which wouldn’t be a lot, then an 18 would be fine. A 23 isn’t really that much bigger size wise so you could go with that too. The 23 would be better if you ever needed to use a 5 mil.
The slots on the newer VDH wings might just be long enough that you could maybe raise the wing enough, or lower it enough to get the cam strap through one of them. Another thing I’ve seen some of the Socal guys do is run another cam strap through that second opening (the waist band holes) below the center one, then they leave off the center cam band and run the lower one through the lower wing slot. You have to be willing to use just one cam band though and it will be more centered on the tank. Think about poodle jackets, most of them only use one cam band and they work.

DGX wing might work with the single camband but it's 30lbs so quite a bit more than asked for. DRIS wing has no slots, you could cut one exactly where you want it, but I was unable to find the grommets back when I went looking.

DGX wing might work with the single camband but it's 30lbs so quite a bit more than asked for. DRIS wing has no slots, you could cut one exactly where you want it, but I was unable to find the grommets back when I went looking.
I bought a grommet set at Joann fabric for my regular clothing. I am not sure the grommets would be as tough as those used for wings, but how tough do they have to be? Since they just keep the hole in wing fabric from fraying. This could be a good way to use the wing I like best despite its hole spacing.

I bought a grommet set at Joann fabric for my regular clothing. I am not sure the grommets would be as tough as those used for wings, but how tough do they have to be? Since they just keep the hole in wing fabric from fraying. This could be a good way to use the wing I like best despite its hole spacing.

It's not the toughness, it's the shape you need for the camband slot, that I could not find. It'll probably work well enough just melting the edges with a soldering iron (or hot knife or something), but I prefer to have them covered too.

(I didn't really need grommets as I reused the existing ones when I cut my Hollis 25 to match Eric's plate. I'd've preferred to have some spares though, before I started cutting.)

If you're talking about protecting the edges of a camband slot from fraying, I just use a tight zigzag stitch on the wings I make. Sew it like a giant button hole, then cut the slot.
If you're talking about the grommets for bolting the wing to a plate, I just use brass grommets fromm Jo-Ann and take care to rinse well after salt water dives.
IMG_20220730_200231695.jpgIMG_20220730_200301857.jpgIMG_20220730_200318321.jpg
Respectfully,

James

Edit to add:. Now you have me thinking about 3d printing a flexible grommet that could be stitched in....

Now you have me thinking about 3d printing a flexible grommet that could be stitched in....

Well, my wing has 2 and I'm reasonably certain Bob Hollis didn't 3D-print them himself. So they are being made... somewhere.

Well, my wing has 2 and I'm reasonably certain Bob Hollis didn't 3D-print them himself. So they are being made... somewhere.
Agreed.
I'm looking to add some tank band slots to my older Trieste. Was just looking at my Apeks wxt6 and it has a very nice rubber grommet sewn into the slot. Would love to get a hold of some of those.

Anyone have a lead, or realistic search words, to help find something like that?

Deep 6 sells wings that seem to have them, and are on this board. If you're on speaking terms with landonl and cerich, you could ask if they know where those things come from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom