Continuing Your Scuba Education (long post)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After being around for little while I am starting to see a stronger and stronger division between the recreational divers and the technical divers in my area. Even the dive shops are split between those who only cater to the recreational aspects of scuba and those who will try to sell you a set of doubles and technical courses. I understand that technical diving is NOT for everyone, but I see that there are a few paths that divers take after AOW/Rescue, and I'm not for sure I'm completely happy with any of them.

(Optional: Skip to break below)

1: AOW/Rescue > Specialties > DM/AI/Instructor - The DM course is excellent and really picks up and teaches a lot of physics and physiology that I feel should be introduced to anyone who sticks around in the sport more than a year or two. However, the DM/AI/Instructor route really focuses on leadership in diving. I'm not an instructor, but have sat through an Instructor Institute and was pretty disapointed at the science that was taught. There was some and the regulator/equipment mechanics was really taught, but really felt that the course in general was much more "how to teach." (which of course is needed). I dont' think that Instructors should be required to be technical divers, but I realized that a lot of the theory behind Advanced Nitrox, Staged Decompression, and the equipment affiliated with technical diving should be in their knowledge base so that they have a significantly deeper understanding of what's going on.

Currently I have taken the class room portion of an Adv. EANx class, but am waiting on equipment to do the dives, and feel like at least the theory and discussion in the class would benefit any diver, as a model or understanding of the physiological process that work on a diver.

2: Specialty Courses and Master Diver Certification: I will acknowledge I actually know very little about this path, and have never seen a shop in my area really promote this path. My understanding is that the Master Diver course demonstrates a knowledge of at least 5 specialties, does it involve introduction of new material in the class of any type??

3. Tech Diving-This route is touchy, it's certainly not for everyone. It really pushes divers to understanding the in's and out's of gas planning, nitrogen loading, Henry's Law, Dalton's Law etc. etc. Unfortunatly with the use of dive computers and large cheque books it's becoming easier and easier for an individual to buy his/her way into technical diving. Many times, but not all, these divers have a very individual attitude and/or dont' like working with divers who are a little greener than themselves. While I would not doubt the ability of any of the technical divers I saw climbing into the local watering hole, I also feel that by teaching some aspects of scuba to more ameature individuals they would reinforce their own knowledge, maybe grow a little bit, learn some leadership skills, and over all grow as a diver.

// ***********Skip to here if you're bored of my typing ******************//

With all this being said, and now that I have upset everyone on the board as we all fall into one or more of these catagories. I have some general questions let me explain where I fall. I have taken the DM/AI course. I have sat through an IDC (only for the educational purpose not because I'm actually going to instruct). I have a handful of specialty ceritification through a few recreational agencies, and would like to get into tech diving. I have my first set of doubles waiting to be assembled and then I plan on using this summer to getting comfortable diving them. I have taken the academic portion of an Advanced Nitrox class and a decompression procedures class.

I'm glad that I have the leadership expeirence there is no doubt in my mind that divemastering in the classroom and at the quarry helping teach new divers lessons forced me to really be self-critical, it showed me the importance of continuing to learn (which you'll see is where I'm getting at in the end). After going through the ADV EANx course and then taking time to learn how to calculate an EAD, and such I felt like I was better able to answer students questions when helping with an altitude course, because I could figure out how those tables were put together (and a little of my engineering background).

Here's the whole point of this very long post. I feel like there is no end to the road in education in scuba. That's what makes scubaboard such a great resource, but what does your dive shop promote most for continuing education? For folks who are Master Divers and have decided that Tech diving is not for them, what are the best resources out there? I think a mixture of all the paths above worked best for me? Are you solely happy going down one path? Is it okay, or more importantly safe, for an individual to become complacent in their diving knowledge, even if it is a very large knowledge base? Should recreational divers ever be introduced to some of the gas theory that supports technical diving even if it's only for knowledge sakes? Are instructors/DM's/AI's out there without enough diverse expeirence in diving?

I am working on putting together a computer now to act as a webserver, but what online resources have you found to be the best to learn from?

The DM course is excellent and really picks up and teaches a lot of physics and physiology that I feel should be introduced to anyone who sticks around in the sport more than a year or two. However, the DM/AI/Instructor route really focuses on leadership in diving.
It should be noted that NAUI offers their Master Scuba Diver *course*, which fits in very well between Advanced and leadership level courses. You can be Advanced from PADI, SSI, or whomever and take the NAUI MSD course -- there's no problem crossing agencies or anything.

What the NAUI MSD course gives you is a standalone course which is made specifically to give you the broad-based knowledge of scuba diving that you would need as a Divemaster or Instructor, but without the leadership aspects. If you just want to learn more about diving (including everything from physics to physiology and all sorts of other topics), the NAUI MSD course is an *excellent* idea.

(Actually, the final from NAUI MSD is a prerequisite of NAUI AI, DM, and Instructor. In NAUI-land, the leadership levels don't teach *diving*. They simply teach leadership and instruction. The diving academics are covered in the non-leadership NAUI Master Scuba Diver course.)

I sometimes feel as if I'm always calling out for the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course, but it is indeed unique among the major agencies. Oh, and the other nice thing about it is that, as a non-leadership course, there is no membership fee, insurance, or anything like that. You take it because you want to learn more about diving, and that is what it gives you.

Oh, you have opened a can of worms!

One of the things about diving that captured me very early on, and has kept me fascinated, is that there is ALWAYS more to learn. An OW class is just like a set of chapter headings, because there is so little information there, compared with what's available. Unfortunately, on some topics (eg. gas management), you can continue through the entire PADI recreational curriculum to instructor, and never learn anything more. Same for decompression theory, which, even if you never intend to go into any mandatory deco, is interesting material to read and use to shape your own, recreational ascent profiles.

There is a TON of good reading on the web. (I know, because I have a lot of it printed out, filling two binders now . . . ) It's amazing, the caliber of the people who readily share what they know. Doing searches here on SB, or on TDS, turns up some excellent discussion, some of them quite academic.

There are excellent courses out there. Of course, I always recommend Fundies, because it's the one places I know that a single-tank, recreational diver can go and get a substantial exposure to gas management, decompression theory, and dive planning, as well as an introduction to non-silting propulsion and precisely control of one's position in the water. NWGratefulDiver teaches a superb AOW class, with a lot of similar material in it, but without the gear requirements. But courses like this are not universally available, and you have to know about them to find them. That's another place where SB is valuable . . . You know, for example, that if you take AOW from Dive-aholic, it's going to be a class with meat on it, because you've seen what he writes and how he writes it.

I guess the bottom line is that extensive knowledge about diving is available in a variety of sources, but it is really just up to the individual diver to be willing to make the effort to find it. Unlike a college curriculum, where you start with Math 101 and keep going until you have a doctorate, diving education is scattered all over, and you just have to assemble it for yourself until you have "enough".

And, of course, do a lot of diving in the process :)

Oh, you have opened a can of worms!

I agree with TSandM's whole post. Who cares what path you followed and on which course you learnt what. All knowledge is power (I mean it in a good sense) and experience is that knowledge put into practice over a reasonable period of time. I couldn't care less about this whole agency vs. agency BS because I believe that there is reasonable merit to everyone's perspective even though one agency might not necessarily consider another's perspective the way they would like to focus on any particular fact. The fact remains that diving principles are by and large dictated by physics and that makes all diving knowledge valuable to any diver. Note I said valuable, a good theoretical knowledge about mixed-gas diving, for example, does not preclude the unqualified diver from still needing to search for reputable and prudent training under the supervision of a qualified instructor.

I say, learn as much as you can, from as many people as you can, talk about it, debate your points of view online, like here on SB, do more training courses, it is all to your benefit in the end because it develops your skills, your knowledge, and ultimately your ability to dive safely. If tech information does not interest you then don't bother with it, but do consider the fact that even though you might not become a full time tech diver, I believe it may very likely provide you with a frame of reference, if nothing else, to draw from in your other areas in diving simply because they are that much more specialized in nature.

I do not foresee that I will ever become a full cave diver exploring the depths of the earth (who knows I might still change my mind,) but the knowledge, skill/expertise, and experience focussed on in tech courses do appeal to me. Why? Because it means I understand more of the bigger picture in the end. Do whatever feels good for you. :coffee:

Is it okay, or more importantly safe, for an individual to become complacent in their diving knowledge, even if it is a very large knowledge base?
Complacency in any form is risky business - how often do we read in the newspapers or here on SB about very experienced divers having been injured or even killed because they did not properly approach situations that were well within their skill level to control. Complacency? Never a good idea.

Should recreational divers ever be introduced to some of the gas theory that supports technical diving even if it's only for knowledge sakes?
IMHO, yes. Gas management is such an important aspect glossed over, if not entirely omitted, much to frequently in entry level diving courses these days. That is not to say that you have to do a full tech course to get introduced to the concepts. I am considering doing GUE's Fundies particularly to revisit much of my existing knowledge, to hone my current skills, explore a new training philosophy I am as yet not all that familiar with myself (yet).

Are instructors/DM's/AI's out there without enough diverse expeirence in diving?
You bet your life on this one. It is a very sad fact IMO.

There is a natural instinct in some persons to "min-max". A min-maxer will look at something like scuba and want to take every specialty class their LDS offers and then feel unsatisfied still.

I am a min-maxer but I just stopped caring about further education after I hit 150 dives or so. The best education really after learning to dive and learning to dive nitrox is through the act of diving. (assuming you don't get into technical diving)

You just need to repress the urge to throw more money into classes at some point and spend more money diving in different conditions.

Edited to add:
My best dive education outside of my certification class and nitrox class was a Blackbeard's cruise. By the end of the trip my sac rate was vastly improved as well as my buoyancy control. There is something to be said for 4-5 dives a day for a week to help with your basic skills.

Good comments. I agree, it is the knowledge, not the card that makes the diver. Even though I have a NAUI Master Diver certification I can not speak to the course. I went through two quarters of university SCUBA/Marine Environment courses before I received a NAUI Master Diver cert. So my reccomendations are that it is a good idea to seek out jounior college or university level classes that are offered covering SCUBA and diving. There are a lot of in depth programs given at teh local public educational institutions and there are also course available at places like the Aquarium of the Pacific that go in depth in to marine studies, diving physics and diving medicine.

Through commercial diving school and the university program I found the NOAA Diving Manual and the U.S. Navy Diving Manuals to be an extreamly good study and reference to get one in to diving theory, practices, physics and medcine. The Navy manual has been recently expanded and covers a lot more than when I was in dive school. I highly reccomend it as an intermeadiate level book to read after basic and advanced SCUBA certification courses.

Two other really good sources outside of the triditional certification agencies are Best Publishing and Airspeed Press. But, as Melicertes stated, the reading is no substitute for hands on practice and knowledge passed on by one who has done it already.

If you really want to be hardcore, fly out to Santa Barbara, CA and enrol in the Marine Technology program at the Santa Barbara City College.

I have taken the DM/AI course.

Probably a very good thing.

I have sat through an IDC (only for the educational purpose not because I'm actually going to instruct).

Nothing about diving is taught there, You are only taught to teach~ and in quite a generic fashion. Your continuing point here is "knowledge". That is acquired before the Instructor level. Looks like maybe you were there for the wrong reason?

Are you solely happy going down one path?

You can't know what you do not know. Likeley then, yes- one would be happy.

Is it okay, or more importantly safe, for an individual to become complacent in their diving knowledge, even if it is a very large knowledge base? Are instructors/DM's/AI's out there without enough diverse expeirence in diving?

We all agree with the obvious answers to those questions.

I am working on putting together a computer now to act as a webserver, but what online resources have you found to be the best to learn from?

On line? Mostly the down line or the john line. Tag line, too.

Experience is the best teacher, unfortunately the tuition is high.

Look beyond the cards ... find a good mentor ... or better yet, more than one ... and go diving every chance you get.

Some of the most useful things I've learned about scuba didn't come from a class ... although many of them ended up in one of the classes I now teach. A good example is my gas management seminar ... I learned most of that stuff from diving with Uncle Pug and other mentors who've picked it up through practical experience over the years.

There is simply no better way to learn than bottom time with someone who knows what they're doing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

3. Tech Diving-This route is touchy, it's certainly not for everyone. It really pushes divers to understanding the in's and out's of gas planning, nitrogen loading, Henry's Law, Dalton's Law etc. etc. Unfortunatly with the use of dive computers and large cheque books it's becoming easier and easier for an individual to buy his/her way into technical diving. Many times, but not all, these divers have a very individual attitude and/or dont' like working with divers who are a little greener than themselves. While I would not doubt the ability of any of the technical divers I saw climbing into the local watering hole, I also feel that by teaching some aspects of scuba to more ameature individuals they would reinforce their own knowledge, maybe grow a little bit, learn some leadership skills, and over all grow as a diver.

This is quite common, I think. Taking a quick look through my dive club database I see that, of 35 divers who have tech or cave training, 27 are also Divemaster or higher.

At least one agency (GUE) requires its recreational course instructors to hold a certificate in either technical or cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom