Container for flying gear?

Gear bag of choice?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What are you using for your checked bag when you fly and need to bring your gear.

What's the best baggage choice for you balancing avoiding theft, ease of transport, protection, and to get past security easily?

I've been with all my gear carry on only and now have a flight coming up with a checked bag needed.

Cheers,
Cameron

Another option is to use a Sport Tube. They are very robust and depending on size, can hold a lot of gear, including spearguns and shafts..

Sportube Cases

MSPT-2T.jpg

I used a Wild Things duffel for years, but now that I'm older and lazier have switched to a wheeled duffel from Patagonia. The increase in weight of a couple of pounds is worth it.

None on the list match exactly. The style has changed over the years but my checked bag is a rolling duffel.

Costco Wholesale

All my critical gear goes in carry on. All the other dive gear goes in the bottom hard-sided section of the duffel. Then clothes and such in the top.

My wife and I use stahlsac rolling bags had them all over the world and still in great shape. Check out www.stahlsac.com.

Last edited:
I use a generic wheeled duffle bag. I position my fins to offer (some) protection to what is inside, and when it is empty, it collapses down to almost nothing.

Regs and computers in carry-on. The rest goes in a standard suitcase.

I selected multiple choices as we use a hard backed rolling duffle from MEC up here in the GWN. We have had them for about 4 years now and they are holding up well. We use the 90 litre model that weighs in at just over 8lbs empty.

MEC Fast-Track 3 Rolling Duffle - Unisex

I use an old fiberglass aerospace shipping container I salvaged from work many years ago. We used them to ship pay per view vcr tapes for the cable company I worked for. When vcr tapes became ancient history they just threw out the couple cases we still had laying around. It is o ring sealed to be air and water tight, has locking wing nut clamps, steel handles, aluminum reinforced, come with or without rollers, is nearly indestructable and even has a pressure release fitting on it. These things are available in all shapes and sizes. If you really need something heavy duty this is the way to go.
I'm a big fan of Pelican cases but these are in a whole different league.
Aerospace1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom