Container for flying gear?

Gear bag of choice?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an old fiberglass aerospace shipping container I salvaged from work many years ago. We used them to ship pay per view vcr tapes for the cable company I worked for. When vcr tapes became ancient history they just threw out the couple cases we still had laying around. It is o ring sealed to be air and water tight, has locking wing nut clamps, steel handles, aluminum reinforced, come with or without rollers, is nearly indestructable and even has a pressure release fitting on it. These things are available in all shapes and sizes. If you really need something heavy duty this is the way to go.
I'm a big fan of Pelican cases but these are in a whole different league.
View attachment 388861

You have yourself a good find there!! I've been watching for those for years to protect our production equipment when on the road, either wildly expensive or unoptanium.

I've mostly flown domestic when taking my gear along - everything comes with except tanks and weights. I favor rolling duffles since they can be among the lightest options with wheels, and the carriage provides one solid side to work with, for protection. I take two, since all the gear in one bag is already pushing 50 lbs, and I like to be able to use clothing/towels/mesh bags/small duffels for cushioning. Only the computer and camera gear are carried on, my reg is inexpensive. Come to think of it, all my travel gear is inexpensive, aside from those two items.

Are the considerations different for international travel? I gather the negligible regulation of carry on gear, within generous tolerance (only had a bag checked for dimensions once, on a Hawaii inter-island, and never for weight), is a US luxury. I try not to let my carry-ons look oversize, but they often push 30-40lbs each.

Last edited:
I also have a rolling duffel bag although mine was originally designed for tennis gear. It has one rectangular pocket down one side that holds my XL fins with some slight bending to zip the pocket. It's just a big open bag with a plastic bottom reinforced with two metal channels for the retractable handle and decent wheels. It's very similar to this one but I only paid about $40 a decade ago - been thru a lot of airports since. I think mine might be a little bigger but I can't get to it tonite to measure it. It's definitely a TravelPro. Notice it's just over 7lbs - so is mine.
Travelpro Maxlite? 2 - 30 Rolling Duffel Ocean Blue [100B5G2425] - $180.00

Holds all my dive gear/spares plus a lot of clothes and still under 50lbs. Often my buddy who has an Akona dive travel bag gives me something of his also so he's under the limit as well. We also bought an electronic luggage scale so there's no surprises at the airport on our return when everything is often a little damp/retaining water. One thing I like is the handles go all the way around and are sewn in multiple places. Having good wheels also makes a difference - my last bag just had a shoulder strap.

My regs, mask, housed videocamera , dive computer and misc. electronics go in my carry-on along with a change of clothes.

Last edited:
We have a simple Samsonite hardshell roller (the now discovery noticed aeris), which will hold 2 full sets of gear minus the regard and computers (Alu BP/W, 3.5mm full suits, Accel find, booties, masks, DSMB+spool, assorted knickknacks), weight around 21-23kg. Tough, non-descript, fairly easy to travel with and compact. Been on 2 trips, scuffed and scruffy looking already, but rolling comfortably. We bought the medium sized bag (there's one larger size), and it's a packing challenge, but it all fits nicely.

I use an old version of Scubapro Dive'n'Roll. At 5kg, a challenge to keep under 21kg when flying airlines with meagre weight allowances but the hard shell is very useful for protecting contents.

None on the list match exactly. The style has changed over the years but my checked bag is a rolling duffel.

Costco Wholesale

I pack for 2 divers plus one snorkeler, so we use one of these Costco bags for all fins, masks, snorkels, rolled wetsuits (cushioning a couple bottles of wine, as desired) and whatever clothing we can cram in the nooks and crannies (in the top), clothing and shoes in the bottom.

We use a patagonia rolling duffel for the BCDs, sunscreen, bug juice, and whatever didn't fit in the first duffel, depending on how much wine we packed!

We have another small rollaboard for the 2 reg sets and computers, toilet kit and a change of clothes each. THAT came in handy this month when our checked luggage decided to hang in Houston and Roatan with United for a couple of nights while we continued on to Utila. (I've now added "swimsuit" to the list for the rollaboard - thankfully the resort loaned us rental wetsuits and the gear we didn't have, and no one took offense to my diving in my underwear! :)

My camera gear goes in a Pelican Storm Case, dive gear and clothing go in a hard suitcase.
storm-case-im2620_big_handle.jpg

I only flew once to dive. I had a huge soft suitcase and put pretty much everything in there, including the reg.--important stuff wrapped well with clothes or something soft. Computer & watch in carry-on. Separate smaller suitcase for clothes, other stuff for the week's trip--hey that was 2011 and no charge for baggage....remember THOSE days, so long long ago.
Now we have hard suitcases, so that's what I'd use today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom