Container for flying gear?

Gear bag of choice?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Eddie Bauer roller bags. The small one as a carry on holds regs, computers, lights etc. The big one holds the rest of my gear and a weeks clothing for a "dive destination". If the wife is traveling with and I need nicer clothes the middle size bag provides that. The REALLY nice thing is the life time warranty. I just replaced the small one that got a rip in it no question asked, "pick the one you want off the shelf". That bag probably had 75 flights on it before then.

We fly 2 -3 times a year for diving. Regs and computers go carry on in the largest soft pack I could find. BCD's, fins, mask,, wetsuit, etc all go in a plastic sided suitcase large enough for 2 sets. It weighs 47# dry. Sometimes we will have to move a wetsuit or heavier dive light to carry on for the trip back if we exceed the 50# limit.

The first suitcase did not survive the first trip but American replaced it with a similar lockable one that has held up for a couple of years. It looks like hell, has no Dive markings on it, and no brand name or "bling" that would appeal to a thief. It has both coasters and wheels so it can be used as a dolly or rolled straight up. I think we paid about $70 for it. It looks just like a regular fabric suitcase, but is made out of a hard plastic and is very light empty.

Clothing goes in a similar but slightly smaller suitcase. In a perfect world, we could get down to 1 suitcase for gear and 2 carryons....but still not there yet. As long as it is light, strong, secure, rollable, meets standard airline luggage restrictions, and looks like it is more likely to contain skidmarked underwear than dive equipment, I'll use it. We have been happy with the suitcases. I have a large rolling dive duffle as well, but it would be "oversized" for checked luggage and cost more to fly with so it stays home.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

Back
Top Bottom