Console vs Air Integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to list one... SUUNTO Corba manual page 3,Warning #3 (mid page) excerpt pasted below:

WARNING!
USE BACK-UP INSTRUMENTS! Make sure that you use back-up instrumentation
including a depth gauge, submersible pressure gauge, timer or watch, and have
access to decompression tables whenever diving with the dive computer.

I have read it in other manuals as well.

But of course, the LDS selling those $2K wireless AI computers don't exactly mention this 'fine print' during the sales pitch, do they?

I used to have the owner's of a LDS (husband and wife co-owners) make fun of me about my having an SPG with my 'hosed' AI computer, they were Sunnto dealers divin' the big $ D9's, but they had so many 'issues' with sync-failures, etc. that I eventually noticed the wife sportin' a redundant SPG on her rig.

Just to list one... SUUNTO Corba manual page 3,Warning #3 (mid page) excerpt pasted below:

WARNING!
USE BACK-UP INSTRUMENTS! Make sure that you use back-up instrumentation
including a depth gauge, submersible pressure gauge, timer or watch, and have
access to decompression tables whenever diving with the dive computer.

I have read it in other manuals as well.

Thanks

BTW... Here is another example just to prove SUUNTO is not alone on this issue.

From Page 7 of the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt manual:

"WARNING: Always dive with back-up instruments. Even when using
a dive computer, you should always carry a submersible
pressure gauge, a depth gauge, and a watch or other
timing device."

Please note: Both the Cobra and Cobalt are console style computers, NOT wrist styles. Where I might skip this warning on shallow dives (less than 50ft) with a hose connected AI, I would never trust a wireless AI computer without a simple SPG as backup. Every electronic circuit, chip, sensor and componant in the computer is a failure point, not just the battery. I work with digital devices enough to know not to trust them too far.

So, if you go with an air-integration computer, you need to be extra sharp about proper care, maintenance, and in particular making sure that battery gets replaced before it comes anywhere near dying.

And you should also be "extra sharp about proper care" when it comes to your reg. That is, after all, the device that's KEEPING YOU ALIVE. The term "proper care" applies to all of your dive gear, not just the computer. If you neglect your gear, sooner or later it's going to fail.

The transmitter folks, yes; failures there are just too frequent.

Where are all of these failures? Your message implies that these things just fail all of the time and I can't find anything to support the claim. My LDS only knows of "failures" due to divers not checking the batteries. And that's not a failure of the gear, that's a failure of the user.

-Charles

Oh my god!!! The manuals say that I gotta use backups!!!

I'm gonna die!!!

And if I were to use a bottom timer or a regular non-AI computer, I don't have to worry about maintenance and battery replacement?

Have you ever met a diver equipped as follows:

A.I. 'hosed' computer....and.....A.I. 'wireless' computer....AND an SPG ? :)

Not that configuration but I've seen a lady dived with a Suunto D9 and a Galileo Sol. I've seen a fellow dived with a D9 and a Cobra.

I suppose I can always reequip one of my HP ports with a splitter so that I can dive with a Wisdom 2, an Elite T3 and an OMS pressure gauge.

Wow lots of hi tech reasons, for me it was simple I lose things, I mis place things, I am hard on things and break straps. The console one is what I bough,t it is now a part of my gear and tied on.

A wrist wireless one would be like the last 3 timex watches that I mis placed (lost) and lot more money than all 3 cost me <G> My wife did get the wireless one she does not lose things like I do!

I did I tell you how I lost my glasses getting my bags checked last trip? Darn I have to grow up someday wife keeps saying.

Would the fine members of the Scuba Board help me to determine between a console style computer vs. and air intergrated computer. Pro's and Con's.

Thanks all,:)
Well integration and location are two different attributes.

You should have all of the integration you need between your ears so that money you can save. That relates to console mounted direct integration or wireless. Non integrated saves money, keeps you thinking and is more reliable by virtue of simplicity.

Where you put a stand-alone dive computer may be console, wrist, retractor or hose mounts. Wrist and console are the most common and many new, larger squarish models are wrist only. My present computer works well for me in a console.

Console keeps it with you, you can't forget it. It's also less likely to get dropped or fall off the boat. As I have mine mounted it's very comfortable and handy to view using either hand.

Many like wrist as it's always there with your forearm.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom