Console vs Air Integrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind is the price difference between a basic non-integrated wrist mount air/nitrox computer and the fancy ones is huge. You are often paying for feature bloat you don't need, not an increase in safety or precision.

So is you are a typical diver, the basic computer will fulfill your needs while leaving some $$$ left over for the never ending list of dive gear we tend to desire.

I recently bought my first dive computer.

For me, I think it is a matter of how much bang for your buck. The basic dive computer gains you several minutes of valuable dive time, and the AI part gains you no more. If I have to choose between spending $300 or more extra dollars for an AI computer, or having some money to spend $150 to $200 for a nitrox course, the nitrox course wins.

For me, I think it is a matter of how much bang for your buck. The basic dive computer gains you several minutes of valuable dive time, and the AI part gains you no more. If I have to choose between spending $300 or more extra dollars for an AI computer, or having some money to spend $150 to $200 for a nitrox course, the nitrox course wins.

I did both. :-D

I picked up the Aeris AI and I like it. Nice Dive Planning mode, air/ndl times, depth, temp, etc. IT works great and I check it as much as I would an analog gauge. Downloading the dive is nice too!

My backup is a Citizens Hyper Aqualand watch. It has time, depth, and temp. Everything I need for backup.

Lee

How do I say this in a diplomatic manners? Some of us don't have an issue with paying a few extra hundred bucks for an AI computer then pay for additional training classes.:idk:

One thing to add to this particular debate: what do you do if your air-integrated computer fails?

Back before I owned my own dive computer, I had a rented one run out of power on me during a liveaboard cruise. I'm grateful I had the analog gauge as a back-up. It's something I hear just a little bit about with dive computers, and the thing about air-integration is that it lays all data functions on the computer. If you have any sense of caution and like redundancy, that is a serious commitment for one piece of gear.

So, if you go with an air-integration computer, you need to be extra sharp about proper care, maintenance, and in particular making sure that battery gets replaced before it comes anywhere near dying. For some people, the consolidation of gear makes all that worth it, but I think too many divers simply ignore what having all the eggs in one basket demands.

Just my two cents.

Many AI computer owner's manuals say you should have a standard SPG in addition to the AI computer in case of a computer failure. This could be their lawyers talking but it is still good advice. That adds an extra high pressure hose to the rig UNLESS you go with a wrist AI computer/transmitter (in the opposite side HP port) and use a simple SPG (no console needed) per the manufacturer.

Many AI computer owner's manuals say you should have a standard SPG in addition to the AI computer in case of a computer failure. This could be their lawyers talking but it is still good advice. That adds an extra high pressure hose to the rig UNLESS you go with a wrist AI computer/transmitter (in the opposite side HP port) and use a simple SPG (no console needed) per the manufacturer.

What manufacturer makes that recommendation? I don't recall seeing that with my wireless AI computer.

Hmm . . . I don't think I have EVER seen a diver who was using a console-type AI computer, who had another pressure gauge. The transmitter folks, yes; failures there are just too frequent. But not console. I would think that, if you are even a little bit diligent about your battery status, the rate at which those fail to read pressure would be low enough that a simple abort and end dive strategy would be good enough.

Hmm . . . I don't think I have EVER seen a diver who was using a console-type AI computer, who had another pressure gauge. The transmitter folks, yes; failures there are just too frequent. But not console. I would think that, if you are even a little bit diligent about your battery status, the rate at which those fail to read pressure would be low enough that a simple abort and end dive strategy would be good enough.

Have you ever met a diver equipped as follows:

A.I. 'hosed' computer....and.....A.I. 'wireless' computer....AND an SPG ? :)

What manufacturer makes that recommendation? I don't recall seeing that with my wireless AI computer.

Just to list one... SUUNTO Cobra manual page 3,Warning #3 (mid page) excerpt pasted below:

WARNING!
USE BACK-UP INSTRUMENTS! Make sure that you use back-up instrumentation
including a depth gauge, submersible pressure gauge, timer or watch, and have
access to decompression tables whenever diving with the dive computer.

I have read it in other manuals as well.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom