Console AI Integrated Computers - How Reliable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resumeman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So still working my way through this computer choice. I like the Aeris Atmos ai. Mainly I like the form factor and display/layout, but having my air-based dive time calculated is nice too.

If I were to use this computer, I would not plan to have any backup pressure reading. So I'd be depending on the computer's digital SPG and sensors. As a practical matter, are these things more or less as reliable/durable as an analog SPG? Or is failure of these things a common occurrence?

Thanks a lot.

Dive comps are pretty well built. Not much more likely to fail then a gauge if properly cared for and a hell of a lot more convent IMO. I played with buddies Atmos on a boat last week seemed nice and pretty feature complete. I liked that it was chargeable... But I have not been under with one. Any modern air integrated or one with a transmitter will serve you well I would think. I'm digging a used suunto d9 at the moment, having replaced a 8 year old oceanic trans plus... Mainly because I could not upload my profiles.

I have a Galileo Luna and have found the connection very good. Once it did stop reading the tank pressure but a 30 second battery swap fixed that.
My Suunto was not so good. That sometimes dropped the connection and it would not reconnect till I surfaced. The Luna will connect to paired devices underwater so you can use it for staged tanks aswell. as you get near the staged tanks it will ask if you would like to connect. Press the button and the data is ready for the computer calculations.

Since you asked about "Console" AI, and specifically the Aeris Atmos ai., I'm assuming you expect to connect to your first stage with an HP hose, like an SPG, and not a wireless link like some wristmount AIs. In that case, the concerns raised by CPH about wireless link reliability in post #3 are not relevant.

If you're diving open water at recreational profiles, I'd say an AI will be quite sufficiently reliable. A battery issue or other failure may make your computer inoperable, in which case your dive is over anyway. Do you need tank PSI to get to the surface immediately? And they're pretty reliable, I see few complaints.

My wife and I both use Suunto Cobras, never had a problem.
I would recommend spending the small extra amount for the quick disconnect, it has a number of benefits wrt ease of use.
As for AI benefits, don't overlook the accurate and automatic recording of tank pressures, facilitating SAC calculations.

My wife and I were considering the Atomic Cobalt. The OLED screen and simple menus are very nice. But for less than the price of one Cobalt we purchased two Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 console AI computers. The screen is large and easy to read. The menus are very easy to understand and navigate through.

I own two of the Atomic Cobalt computers, and my Wife and I love them. I have used mine on over 50 dives now, and find that the computer is simple set up, and extremely easy to use, and very reliable. It has a rechargeable l-ion battery that lasts a long, long time between charges. It was expensive, but worth it. Its been referred to as the iPhone of dive computers, and I have to agree. Your question was how reliable, and I would say rock solid.

If you like the console format, before deciding, have a look at the Atomic Cobalt.

Heh heh. I HAVE had a look at the Cobalt. I would absolutely love that computer, but I couldn't begin to justify the price. It seems to me that's what 21st century computers should be, rather than having them all look like 80's digital watches.

I'm assuming that the Cobalt is an early indicator of a trend and that in a few years this type of machine will be much more widely available -- and cheaper. So that type of computer may be my second dive computer, but for now, the regular old LCD is what I"m going to be looking at.

And to reefduffer, that's correct, for an AI computer at this point I am only looking at consoles. The wrist AIs are a bit of another step up in price, and from what I"ve read I don't think I'd completely trust that technology yet. I still haven't completely decided against just getting a non-AI wrist model, but if I did go AI I would want to know that it wouldn't be likely to leave me in the lurch.

Thanks for the input, I'm glad to hear that the AI is pretty solid.

The wireless AI pressure signal is not as reliable as a mechanical connection, but you can connect a small SPG clipped to a D ring (from the second HP port) , so even with a complete loss of signal you can complete the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom