Considering switch from AL80s....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
to steelies of some persuasion....

Driving forces are:

1. More gas; the AL100s are BIG and HEAVY, and have even nastier buoyancy problems than the 80s.

2. Probable doubling up in the future as I progress.

I've been looking at LP95s, LP104s and HP100s (the latter Pressed Steel, the former from either them or perhaps Faber)

As I understand it, the arguments each direction come down pretty much as follows:

1. LPs can use Yokes. Irrelavent since I will end up going to DIN if I go technical anyway for better connection security.

2. LPs are HEAVY. VERY heavy. LP104s are 45lbs each; LP95s are 42lbs each. This is counterbalanced by the ~6lbs I can take off my belt compared to an AL80, but the 104s anyway are still heavier all-up. They're also LARGE.

3. LPs are, however, easy to fill, since with the "+" rating they only go to 2640 psi.

4. HPs are LIGHT. A HP100 is 31 lbs! It too is negative when empty, -1.4, so I can still take that same 6lbs off my belt.

5. HPs REQUIRE DIN. A non-issue for me.

6. HPs might be hard to get a full fill on, since you need 3500 PSI.

7. HPs are smaller; 2" shorter and 3/4" in diameter.

8. HPs might stress my first-stage HP seat more than LPs.

9. And the controversial one; some people overpump LPs dramatically (like to 4,000 PSI!) to get ~150cuft of gas in a LP104. That is something I don't think I'll be doing in any event.

So where do you guys come down on this? The weight deal looks like a big one to me; for a set of doubles we're talking about 28lbs, which is very, very significant, and even with a single the on-land difference is 14lbs which is certainly not chump change.

Thoughts?

I've been diving PST HP steels since 1992. I've never had a problem getting a 3500 psi fill. I have an 80, a 102, and a 120. I compliment them with a few older 72's that I've picked up over the years (on the cheap!).
Go for it!
Tom

Genesis once bubbled...
5. HPs REQUIRE DIN. A non-issue for me.

6. HPs might be hard to get a full fill on, since you need 3500 PSI.

FYI. I was in a dive shop the other day talking about tanks. He showed me a couple Steel 120s. Rated pressure 3300 psi, yoke valve.

I don't know anything about them [since I already had my 120s] but it's another option to think about.

I too was turned off LP due to their size and weight.

I have two 104s which I've used as singles. For a long time, I'd been sort of dreading doubling them up, but finally did the deed recently.

Once assembled and mounted on the backplate, I was quite surprised how easy they are to move around. The weight is quite manageable, and I occasionally find myself wishing I'd gotten 120s instead. YMMV, of course.

:)

BTW, you don't have to fill to 4000 to get a decent fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom