Considering diving, BP/W is ok?

Witch BC I should buy?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As most regulators recommened service every year the M1 recommends every 2 years.

My M1s have been going strong for a good bit longer than 2yrs and my ST1 1st stage/m1 seconds reg is coming up on 4 years...all work great with rock steady IP. Keep em clean, know their condition before every dive, and don't screw with what ain't broke.

That said, Apeks makes good regs and for his local waters diaphragm may be better. But he sure as Hell isn't gonna save money over Atomic service costs with an annual service requirement, free parts from Apeks or not.

Sent from my Shearwater Petrel using Tapatalk

Any care at all and a reg will long exceed the need for "ANUAL" servicing. Especialy when using in only fresh water and rinced properly. i would however do the anuals if i used the regs daily or in harsh waters.

should I go for the Apeks but forget the annual lifetime thing and service it every 2 years? I'm probably only getting 20-30 dives a year, mostly fresh water and maybe extreme cold waters.

should I go for the Apeks but forget the annual lifetime thing and service it every 2 years? I'm probably only getting 20-30 dives a year, mostly fresh water and maybe extreme cold waters.
The Apeks are a great choice. They are a sealed diaphragm design and perfect for cold water, or any conditions for that matter. They are tried and trued, I have never heard anything but good about them. The tech divers like them if that tells you anything.
Always have them hooked up to a tank and pressurized while you soak them for rinsing. This will prevent water from getting into the 1st stage. If the inside of the first stage is kept pristine then you could go a few hundred dives between services.
Servicing every year is nothing but industry hype and a way for dive shops to insure some annual revenue. Every time your reg is torn down and serviced is where most of the wear occurs on the hard parts. If the reg holds a steady internal pressure of 135 to 140 (or whatever the suggested pressure is for that reg) you are good to go.
I'm notorious for letting my regs go for years between services. But I also am a fanatic about how I clean them and keep salt out of the inside.
Every time I tear them down, even after 4 or 5 years, I wonder why I'm even doing it. There is virtually no signs of wear and I feel like I am throwing away brand new parts.

I have NEVER seen anyone try a BP/W properly fitted and want to go back to a jacket BC. Has anyone else?

Maybe it wasn't properly fitted, but my husband rented a BP/W (the shop configured it for him- it wasn't just handed off) and said he didn't really see a big difference. The rental only cost $5 more, so it was nice to try- but he's decided until he's ready to buy he's fine with rental jackets.

We were introduced to BP/W in OW class though- one DM taught in it, and the two instructors both told us they dive in them regularly, but just teach in jackets.

I do the pool sessions for my classes in the shop's jacket BCD & their regs. It's easier to demo what the classes need to do (eg weight drop, gear remove/replace etc) in the same gear they have on. Also, it keeps my gear out of the pool. I use my bp/w for all open water dives.

It's ridiculous to say you need a bp/w to be horizontal & have good trim. Maybe it's easier, but mandatory? Come on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom