Considering diving, BP/W is ok?

Witch BC I should buy?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FelipeBR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I know most of you are going to say I shouldn't buy my gear before getting certified. But I just can't help it, I wanna wear my own gear for the classes. I'm way too excited about scuba, I dont know why I have waited this long, turning 30 in 2 1/2 years.

After doing a lot of research I get more confused each day. At first I wanted to go with mares hybrid, looks nice, got all the futures and apparently jacket hybrid style is better for beginners. But then I spoke to someone who said the mares is not worth it and is not the best quality. The same person also told me that if I'm comfortable on the water I could try back inflate style. The problem now is that another LDS recommended a BP/W style. I read that BP/W are for advanced tech divers.

Since I've already set my mind into witch regulator I wanna get (mk25/s600). I wanna take advantage of the ScubaPro parts for life thing they have. Apparently you have to buy a BCD, Regulators and Computer to get it. The only Jacked style I like for ScubaPro is the knighthawk and I dont even like it that much, it feels like they are a bit behind in technology.

However I'm really excited about the ScubaPro's X-Tek BP/W. Is this something I should stay away? I also want a BC to grow with it, the first thing that comes into my mind when I think about diving is caves, the second is sharks. I've done snorkeling many times, I could stay for hours in the water with my snorkels on, I'm very relax, comfortable and calm in the water. I own my snorkeling gear including wet suites.

My other concern is that it looks like BP/W are usually one size fits all, witch is probably true, but I'm a little bit in the short side 5'5ft, would that be a problem? As for the weight, how to use it? front only? back only? both? dont need weights? (I'm 140 pounds).

I'm a snowboard guy and I remember when I bought my first board, I wanted to go for the looks and then someone saved me and pointed me to right direction. So I want to listen to what you all have to say.

Thanks for reading this till the end and sorry if my english is not that good (loving the auto-correction).

BP/W are not just for techies. Many, including the Freedom Plate made by Eric Sedletzky http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...952-new-freedom-contour-rolex-backplates.html are available in smaller sizes. It uses a one piece harness system which is all you will ever need. The webbing lasts for years and when it begins to fray or you change size you simply replace the harness.

I would ask your LDS about ScubaPro's parts for life program. I may be wrong, but I thought they discontinued that. Either way, you have to service your gear every year to keep the program, making your gear cost a lot more than you would pay for another brand.

Since I've already set my mind into witch regulator I wanna get (mk25/s600). I wanna take advantage of the ScubaPro parts for life thing they have. Apparently you have to buy a BCD, Regulators and Computer to get it.

Good luck with that.

"One wing to rule them all..."
myprecious1.jpg

"We wants it, we needs it, must have the precious!"

BP/W are not just for techies. Many, including the Freedom Plate made by Eric Sedletzky http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...952-new-freedom-contour-rolex-backplates.html are available in smaller sizes. It uses a one piece harness system which is all you will ever need. The webbing lasts for years and when it begins to fray or you change size you simply replace the harness.

I would ask your LDS about ScubaPro's parts for life program. I may be wrong, but I thought they discontinued that. Either way, you have to service your gear every year to keep the program, making your gear cost a lot more than you would pay for another brand.

They still have the program, but you have to buy regs, bc and computer. I've already spoke with my LDS, hes the one that gave me this option, I think I also read it somewhere in this forum under the Scubapro dealer section.

And I thought every gear had to be serviced every year regardless of the brand. Or maybe I just assumed.

The x tek stuff is way over priced. Much better options out there. And the parts are not free. You just pay for them on the front end.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The BP/W works for any ability level.

There are lots of brands that are good for that.

Look around for the best choice in regulators. Many are so much cheaper than the one you are considering that you might save quite a few years of free parts in the price of the regulator.

BP/W is an awesome platform and will grow with you for pretty much anything you do. Congratulations on making that decision. The problem with the scubapro parts for life is there is a lot of fine print involved. I would look into HOG, DSS, Dive Rite and if you want to pay the "H" tax... Halcyon. Halcyon and Scubapro BP/W systems cost about the same but Halcyon uses a normal inflator and their customer service rocks. The reason I said "H" tax is Halcyon gear is more expensive than most however the X-Tek system is very similarly priced ($$$). However you will see that the most expensive gear is not always the best (I made that mistake...)

As for regulators I heard you said you had your mind made up and the Mk25/s600 is an awesome regulator but so are the apeks XTX50's and HOG regulators, once you become a more experienced diver you can take a class to service HOG regulators yourself. Apeks is owned by Aqualung and you can find service for Apeks and Scubapro all over the world.

Computers... This is a large sticking point. My favorite computer that is on the budget side is my $250 Dive Rite trio. PERSONALLY I think scubapro computers are overpriced for what they are. I know the trio has been discontinued however the Cressi Giotto or the Suunto Zoop are two good options that wont break the bank. Some people will say use a bottom timer and tables to start with, I can see this side as well and if thats the rout you choose any 200m watch will work as a BT, or a specialized BT such as a Liquivision Xen. Tech dives are run off of precut tables and a BT.

To put it in perspective, this is my rig at the moment... a DR basic harness on a Hollis SS BP with a Halcyon wing and Apeks regulators, Shearwater Petrel primary and a nitek trio as a backup, with a highland compass, DRIS backup lights, Hollis 25 can light and Scubapro fins.

The reason I named that off was to show that brand name doesn't really matter, it's about having good, solid, reliable gear.

GC

Everyone says the X-tek is too expensive and most people prefer the Halcyon Infinity witch is the same price. Again I'm not a diver, but looking a the pictures, the X-tek looks like much better. What would be the advantages - disadvantages between both?

I love my Halcyon Infinity and my DSS. I also love my Liquivision Xeo, so great for my aging eyes. My other gear is Hog regs and a Diving Concept drysuit ( out of business).

Back
Top Bottom