Considering Divemaster training options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fras85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there.

I am planning to do a divemaster course and then in time move onto
instructor level and try and find employment in the dive industry.
My question is how long a divemaster course is adviseable to actually
get the benefit from it (i.e become a good divemaster). I see advertised
internships taking 8 weeks and sometimes longer and then see some places
offering a 9 day course. I ask because for convenience the 9 day course
would be better as I could do it on a holiday from work and continue working
my current job while training. Although I wouldn't want to do this if it meant sub
standard training. I am currently at rescue diver level with 50 logged dives.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Length of the course isn't really a good indicator of how good the course is. The 9 day course will cover everything but likely include mock internships in which the "classes" you work with are divemasters or instructors acting as students. An 8 week course will likely have you working with real students during the internship modules. What you need to decide is what shop you want to work with and sign up with them. There's no point in becoming a DM if you can't work as a DM to gain experience.

IMO there is no substitute for working with actual students and doing a proper internship. 9 day or zero to hero courses as they are also known rarely offer that. They use already certified divers or even other DM's/ AI's/ or even instructors to "play the role" of student. A poor substitute for actual students. I also would never hire a DM that went thru one of these to work with me or to lead a dive unless they can prove to me that they already hundreds of dives, knew what they were doing, and getting the DM rating was more or less a formality. I'd expect that before they went into something like that they had demo quality skills, instructor level knowledge, lots of experience leading dives and with divers of various experience, and just needed to become familar with the agency standards and with teaching techniques.

My DM class took nearly a year to complete. I put in over 100 hours in the pool and another 75 or so in OW actually helping with classes as a DMC. In that time I assisted with Jr OW thru Rescue classes. You can't do that in 9 days. The only thing you can do in 9 days is get the basic info and a few dives in. You will also lighten your wallet considerably. I'd also expect to get a discount if you were actually doing work for the shop or instructor and anything outside of actual learning getting paid for it.

I also recently said in another post that becoming a DM should be like getting a job. They should be selected from the best possible candidates, not looked at as a source if student revenue.

I took 1 1/2 years to finish-locally. Logistics prevented a quicker time, plus some of my skills and stamina test problems. Can't imagine doing a course in 9 days--the academics alone--I studied the stuff for months ahead of time. Doing it on a holiday would waste the holiday, much like doing the whole OW course would. Not knowing you, I would assume 50 logged dives is not nearly enough, but everyone's different. I guess some shorter courses could be fine if you're doing stuff every day, and that's tough to get locally. Good luck.

With your experience level, a 9 day course will give you the credential to "be" a divemaster but not to "do" what divemasters do competently. Working with students and with certified divers is important to develop problem solving skills, to hone your scuba skills to demonstration quality, and develop an attitude and presence to which people will respond, and when necessary, obey. You need the experience to spot divers who need your close attention, and also to spot those who can be given free rein. You will have both, and need to know the difference. The divers themselves do not always know which they are. I went from orientation to certification as a PADI divemaster in 4 months many years ago. I started the program with well over 100 recreational dives in my log. Over the 12 months following certification as a DM, I became a competent professional, and have continued to grow ever since. Professional diving, as a divemaster or instructor, is not about the credential- it's about competence. Follow the path that will assist you to becoming a competent dive master. We have enough "90 day wonders" or 9 day wonders, already out there.
Divemaster Dennis

I agree that unless you are the exception, not the rule.... you need to log waaaaaaay more than 50 dives before applying for a DMC.

Slow down go diving alot and stop viewing the cards as the objective or the means to an end. Doing a few searches here and spending time here will show you what you do not know yet.

Eric

A big +1 to Eric.

Become a good diver before you " become a good divemaster".

From your bio and post you have made 50 dives in two years and are rescue certified which means you don't dive a lot and around 20% of your dives have been training. Get out and dive, you may find other facets of diving that you might enjoy more than being a DM. A good divemaster spends a lot of time in the water helping other people follow their dream, if that is not your goal just go diving a lot and have fun like I do.

Good Luck and Safe Diving

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I am currently doing my dive master course. I have around 250 dives and have just over two years experience. I went through the training to get my Master Diver course and find the dive master course a good all around review. I think my past military experience will assist me in keeping everyone safe. I do not plan on doing this for a living but the knowledge is great to learn. Of course I live on Maui so diving is an every week if not everyday event.

Being a Dive Master and moving up the leadership ladder is a very huge
responsibility.

My advice:
Take the most challenging course with the most demanding instructors possible.
My DM course took almost a full year to complete working with a very demanding Instructor. Wouldnt have had it any other way. Still working with her on my way up to AI and on to Instructor. I could not imagine doing DM in 9 days and coming out feeling confident even though I have been diving for 15+ years with over 500 dives.

Like the old saying goes, "the toughest challenges provide the greatest rewards".

Be safe, and strive for excellence!

It seems you're leaning toward the Zero to Hero method and that's the worse way to go.

Experience working with students is often misunderstood. It's not so much the good, or even average ones you're preparing for, it's the other(s).

Out of a class, you may have one or maybe no "difficult" student divers.

IE; being in real dive situations, at real dive sites, with real students, is "Real Experience", and can't be Faked...

Back
Top Bottom