Considering a dry suit? What the heck . . . . (Lessons Learned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how skinny you are but I find myself on the thin side also (5'9 150-155) Luckilly I have yet to have an issue with my seal's. I have heard stories about this issue but Over the years found it's usually they are cut too much or not fitting properlly. I have the "Heavy Duty Seal's" from bare that came on my Bare Tri-lam HD Techdry suit. have about 70 dives 2 years in the suit and are still in great shape. i know some manufacturer such as DUI come with the regular seals but have the heavy duty as an option. The silicone seals are supposed to be very comfrotable seals but they are not as tight or strong as the heavy duty " So I have heard". My selas are snug not overlly tight to where my hands turn blue, I also make sure I powder all my seals before putting them on as it helps them slide on very easy.

Also another option it's not really fixing the problem but it will stop the leaking wrist seals is to get drygloves. I use the Sitech Quick glove lock system and works great for me. My hands stay nice warm and dry.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/glove-lock-glove-system-p-2494.html

Yep, you've pretty much hit everything on the nose!

I have yet to cut a seal, though. Now I'm terrified! :fear:

I went out to Extreme Exposure to have my new FLX Extreme fitted.
Doug Mudry went through the options and sizing taking 3 hours to make sure everything was perfect!
I just received the suit and couldn't be happier. It fits perfectly and is exactly like i wanted. I've spent far too much time in suits that i didn't like 100% and am done searching and screwing around.
FLXValveStretchSmall.jpg

The right fitting Drysuit is a must. I have dove Mobby's, White's and Waterproof. Trilam and Neoprene. Because of the water temps around here we need them at some point almost year round. I have not tried the new Silicone seals. I have 2 suits with Steve Gamble in Gainsville at the moment and he is putting them on my Mobby. He fitted my Waterproof with seals that I sent him measurements for and that suit fits awesome! IMHO, Make sure that you try different suits on and make sure that they are comfortable!!!! And if you need seals replaced.... Gamble is your man on the East Coast!

In my kit I carry a few feet of surgical tubing for seals along with a few zip ties. I take section of tubing and wrap it around my wrists and neck then clip with a few inches longer for the zip ties, then tighten them up over the wrist and neck seals to prevent any leaks. This has worked out every time and when I go get my own drysuit (I hope soon since rentals are $$$$) I will trim the seals right and still carry the tubing for the just in cause moment that will happen.

Reactions: Jax
While there are more "modern" solutions, when I had to put small, thin women into dry suits I used to make each of them a set of skin two side neoprene bracelets. These were worn under their wrist seals and provided a seal against their wrists and against the wrist seals themselves.

In my kit I carry a few feet of surgical tubing for seals along with a few zip ties. I take section of tubing and wrap it around my wrists and neck then clip with a few inches longer for the zip ties, then tighten them up over the wrist and neck seals to prevent any leaks. This has worked out every time and when I go get my own drysuit (I hope soon since rentals are $$$$) I will trim the seals right and still carry the tubing for the just in cause moment that will happen.

While there are more "modern" solutions, when I had to put small, thin women into dry suits I used to make each of them a set of skin two side neoprene bracelets. These were worn under their wrist seals and provided a seal against their wrists and against the wrist seals themselves.

Dang it, I learn something new every day!!!! Where's that Thanks Button!!!! :D :clapping:

I made myself a pair of wristbands out of 1" elastic, to wear over my seals in MX, where I use my hands a lot. They worked reasonably well, but the DUI Zip seals that Danny cut ridiculously small holes in worked even better :)

Dang it, I learn something new every day!!!! Where's that Thanks Button!!!!

Thanks, I learned it from my drysuit class, the tubing does dry out when it gets salt water on it. I like TsandM method of using bands, that would work great if a leak happened in a arm or leg and with the straps one could seal off that area to prevent a complete flooding.

Jax, I'm not sure if you've gotten it all figured out or not.:D It seems like the answer to the wrist seal issue is to attach dry gloves. On a recent dive trip to BC, I noticed quite a few people using these: http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/rubber-pullover-glove-rings-p-2704.html

Si Tech also makes this sweet setup which I use, but it is expensive: http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/glove-lock-glove-system-p-2494.html

After watching your video and looking at the neck seal, I'm not convinced that a neoprene neck seal wouldn't be better. The neoprene seal is rolled inward so that it makes skin on skin contact. The less it is rolled inward, the smaller the opening. You could use it with your Apollo Bio Seal. The additional benefit is insulation around your neck to keep you warm and toasty. Another option would be a permanently attached dry hood. Have fun trimming the face seal!:eyebrow:

Are you planning on using your drysuit for cold water and a wetsuit for warm water? If so, the dry gloves are the way to go. even in warm water, they can be used without insulation for better dexterity.

Back
Top Bottom