Conshelf XII vs. Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question to all you vintage divers out there. Occasionally I aquire for no cost a old regulator which I then take home and take apart just to practice doing a rebuild or two. My latest acquizition, thanks to craigslist, is a old Conshelf XII. From what it looks like, there does not seem to be much difference between it and a Conshelf XIV. My question to you gurus, can I use the XIV manual to follow for overhaul or are there significant differences? Also, will the same ovehaul kits for the XIV work?
Myles

After this project, I have a old Calypso J to fiddle with.

They are the same regulator and use the same rebuild kits. The only differences are the number and placement of the LP ports on the 1st stage. Even the Xii changed the number of ports between introduction in 1972 vs. the end of the run in 1977. Kits can be got from the Vintage Double Hose web site;

from another thread:

The VI had 1 HP, 1LP. Its second stage had the 7/8" exhaust valve.

The XI had 1HP, 2LP. Its second stage has the 'magnum' exhaust valve, with a calypso style exhaust tee. It is easily identifiable because it still used a metal yoke screw.

The XII had 1HP, 2LP (early) and 1HP, 3LP (late model). Its second stage had a magnum exhaust valve with the common press on tee, and a Teflon second stage lever. Early models are easy to pick out because they use a yoke nut, while later ones used the C-Clip. They all had plastic yoke knobs.

The XIV has 1HP and 3LP (though always a 3/8" HP port) and the same second stage. It looks identical to a late model XII except for the stickers.

The conshelf 20 (not vintage, but just for your edification), has the same conshelf XIV first stage, but a plastic second stage. The second stage is internally identical to the metal one in the XIV.

Incidentally, you can get a SE or 22 first stage, in which some models have 4 LP ports if you like diving a drysuit. It looks identical to the XIV first stage, except with 1 more LP port. I have two 22 first stages hooked to XIV second stages, and that is what I currently use for my tech rig.

Pete, thanks. Luckally, because of part time work in the LDS's I have access to kits. If this one isnt two corroded up (its pretty bad) and I can get it cleaned and rebuilt, I will be using it on a tank in my garrage to run air for shop work.
Myles

Take a look at the serial numbers on the 1st and 2nd stages, the first two numbers are the year of manufacture

Take a look at the serial numbers on the 1st and 2nd stages, the first two numbers are the year of manufacture

I can't make that work. Looking at my two Conshelf 1st stages the serial numbers are JP7E5004 and V5B6049.

What Conself do you have - those numbers look like they are from the 80's or later.

Back
Top Bottom