Need some advice on new US Divers / Conshelf XIV Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ErosJax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys and gals, this is my first post and I need a little advice if possible.
I decided recently that I would like to put together a semi-vintage set to just use for fun on reef dives, etc... After reading several threads on here and seeing pics of the Conshelf XIV , I was suddenly thinking "Damn! Those are cool! I need one!".

I recently acquired a Conshelf XIV first stage and second stage circa 1980 (both serials start with 80) that is in mint condition and looks like it had never been used.
$(KGrHqV,!h8E9dvSPGlWBPfijtl1r!~~60_57_sm.jpg
I also acquired an older US Divers pressure gauge, to keep inline with the era. Not sure the year of this gauge, but it has a 3/8" male end which is perfect since I won't have to get an adapter.
$(KGrHqJ,!qsE88gcG80WBPeik9q5uw~~60_12.JPG

Now to my question. I would like to get an octo/safe second for this set and need advice. Should I get another Conshelf XIV? Calypso VI? Or something similar to those? Or should I just get a new octo, which in my mind kind of defeats the purpose of the set. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I see no reason to get a "modern" octo....you'd gain nothing.
Get another USD metal 2nd stage with the press on exhaust T (like your 14)....they're all over the shop with different names and numbers on the purge button......Aquarius, Conshelf 12, Calypso even just Octo.
Once you get fixed with your USD habit you know it's just going to be a gateway to 109's, 156's, DA's and RAM's.

I have a similar set up. I have a vintage OCTO that Ipurchased in 1884 with my reg. It has the yellow phone dial cover and is a nice vintage touch to a nice vintage set up. Back in those days a number of people also used C14 second stages as octos. Worked in a dive shop back then, it was all pretty cool. Sales area of the shop is about the size of my living room today. it was small.

Hey guys and gals, this is my first post and I need a little advice if possible.
I decided recently that I would like to put together a semi-vintage set to just use for fun on reef dives, etc... After reading several threads on here and seeing pics of the Conshelf XIV , I was suddenly thinking "Damn! Those are cool! I need one!".

I recently acquired a Conshelf XIV first stage and second stage circa 1980 (both serials start with 80) that is in mint condition and looks like it had never been used.
View attachment 121278
I also acquired an older US Divers pressure gauge, to keep inline with the era. Not sure the year of this gauge, but it has a 3/8" male end which is perfect since I won't have to get an adapter.
View attachment 121279

Now to my question. I would like to get an octo/safe second for this set and need advice. Should I get another Conshelf XIV? Calypso VI? Or something similar to those? Or should I just get a new octo, which in my mind kind of defeats the purpose of the set. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can get a HOG 2nd stage for $105. Then you have a extra 2nd stage that is as good as anything you will find. Plus parts kits are easy to find.

Later Mon,
Nick

Welcome to the board. I had to laugh, that's a modern reg to most of those who dive vintage. It is a good solid reg, easy to service and parts are easy to find. Vintage Double Hose has complete rebuilds kits for it and a service manual in it's download section. Shop Online
As for a, octo, you can use any second stage you like, which you choose is mainly a matter of personal preference. If you want to keep the reg "original" then another conshelf second would be perfect, if not then the field is wide open. Some of the early plastic USD res/octos were stylish and make nice contrasting octos, that is what I use on my double hose that been fitted with LP ports when I need/want an octo with it. If you look at some of the early plastic seconds be aware that they were prone to cracking around the hose inlet area so check that area carefully before using one.

Nice old cap gauge, I keep one of those on most of my regs. If the tubing is clouded up, it is easy to repair.

Fishpie is right, be very careful how you handle the old regs, they contain a very powerful drug that compels you to buy, restore and dive more and more of the old gear. It's very easy to get hooked, the good side is you have a large and very knowledgeable support group to help you......or maybe we are reg crack dealers. :)
Oh and before anyone else gets to say it....that old junk will kill you. :)

Nice!

I just bought my first Conshelf set. In my case, it just has two Conshelf XIV 2nds...and I feel perfectly safe having it that way.

It's in the shop getting tuned up as we speak so I can dive with it next Saturday.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I may go for another Conshelf. I was looking at a few Calypsos and Aquarius, but I'm somewhat hesitant on those due to not knowing if they can still be serviced or not. I know from reading on here that the C14 can be easily serviced and parts are readily available. I would love to eventually learn how to service my C14. I know there are a ton of knowledgeable people on here in that regard as well as several posts on the subject. I may also try to find the cheapest, banged up C14 I can find just so I can take it apart and tinker with it.

By the way, I know about getting the "bug" as I was also looking at trying to put together a Scubapro MK5 - 109/156 set. Although, I'll probably wait on that. My wife will kill me if she starts seeing a ton of these coming in! Ha!

Don't be concerned about finding parts for any of the older USD seconds, with the exception of the exhaust valves (all of which are common - just several sizes) they all use the same soft parts - orings, diaphgrams and LP seats, all of which are easy to get (VDH has them all). Even the later plastic ones use the same soft parts.

Would there be any issue with my LDS servicing the older models? They are currently servicing my C14. I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of an issue of I serviced my own, unfortunately I'm nowhere near that point at the moment.

They might have problems with the non Conshelf 1st stages but any of the 2nd stages with the press fit exhaust T are identical to your 14 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom