Conshelf/Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know why AL changed the name of the Conshelf series to Titan? Inside, they are virtually identical and use the same parts, and the Titan looks identical to the Conshelf 30, as far as I can tell.

Was it just a marketing ploy to make customers think something new and wonderful had happened?

Does anyone know why AL changed the name of the Conshelf series to Titan? Inside, they are virtually identical and use the same parts, and the Titan looks identical to the Conshelf 30, as far as I can tell.

Was it just a marketing ploy to make customers think something new and wonderful had happened?

And as an addon / semi-hijack question, I'd be interested in knowing the connection between:

The Conshelf, Titan and the AMF/Voit MR-12 (Now the Mares MR-12... or was it always the Mares MR-12, and Voit just imported and re-branded it back then??? Not sure...) :popcorn:

The "DNA" seems so close between these regs (all can use the same HP poppet I think) that there must have been some "funny business" amongst their anscestors in the 1960's or '70's :wink:

Best wishes

Edit: I think I remember the MR-12 being an American design by Voit... but later acquired by Mares during the Voit/Mares association?? :idk:

After rebuilding regulators from just about all the major manufacturers, I am convinced that late at night when they think nobody's watching, the regulators on the wall in the store interbreed. I have seen enough similarities between disparate companies' products that there has to be some "DNA sharing" somewhere down the line.

After rebuilding regulators from just about all the major manufacturers, I am convinced that late at night when they think nobody's watching, the regulators on the wall in the store interbreed. I have seen enough similarities between disparate companies' products that there has to be some "DNA sharing" somewhere down the line.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

I wonder if the core group of engineers from the early companies knew each other and were drinking buddies after work, and came up with their very best ideas on cocktail napkins....

Then "borrowed" each other's napkin-plans and staggered back to their repective offices to get it down on paper before the ensuing hangover erased their memories and they progress they'd made... Stranger things have happened! :rofl3:

Best wishes.

... Was it just a marketing ploy to make customers think something new and wonderful had happened?

Yes!

From a marketing point of view: "ConShelf" is harder to pronounce, has been around a long time, maybe too long, and relates to some historical facts that ain't too significant nowadays, and very much last century. (Many times, I dove the plateau in the Red Sea where the "Continental Shelf" is located and never once came near the thing because the action is at the opposite end, with a whole bunch of hammerheads).

OTOH, "Titan" is a much more "natural" word, easy to pronounce, and, with some luck, may even lead the customers to believe there's titanium in it: all gain, no pain!

:D

... Then "borrowed" each other's napkin-plans...

Salvatore Dali once said: "Only fools don't copy". :D
Besides, there're not a lot of ways to reduce pressure. Maybe the next breakthrough would be a continuous control and delivery instead of the current on-off thing.

Last edited:
Early Voit were made by US Divers. Voit later became part of Mares. The Voit and Swimaster names disappeared.

The MR-12 = Military Regulator, 1 hose, 2 stages. It was introduced by Voit.

Continues flow would have no benefit since the natural human breathing cycle is in then out... and repeat.

AMF Voit and US Divers were never building regulators for one another. Voit went union which was it down fall. Sold rights to Mares. If you use the theory that one built for another the most copied (Cause its Easier to Copy) regulator is the Scuba Pro Pistion Design. Back in the 60's and 70's USD and Voit were about 10 blocks from one another so the drinking theroy may have merit. No the seats are not exactly the same. The name Conshelf was the name used because of the Cousteau Conshelf Habitat. Simular to the US Navy Sea Lab Program. Cousteau was the Chairman of US Divers. Air Liquede owns US Divers (Now Aqua Lung). The company left the association with Cousteau (he died) and thus the name changes in the names of the product line. No Royalties to the Son J M Cousteau.

Sincerely,

Leisure Proski

Just as I thought. The Titan is actually the Conshelf 30 (or maybe Conshelf 31) renamed.

AMF Voit and US Divers were never building regulators for one another. Voit went union which was it down fall. Sold rights to Mares. If you use the theory that one built for another the most copied (Cause its Easier to Copy) regulator is the Scuba Pro Pistion Design. Back in the 60's and 70's USD and Voit were about 10 blocks from one another so the drinking theroy may have merit. No the seats are not exactly the same. The name Conshelf was the name used because of the Cousteau Conshelf Habitat. Simular to the US Navy Sea Lab Program. Cousteau was the Chairman of US Divers. Air Liquede owns US Divers (Now Aqua Lung). The company left the association with Cousteau (he died) and thus the name changes in the names of the product line. No Royalties to the Son J M Cousteau.

Sincerely,

Leisure Proski

Actually, USD did manufacture regs for Voit up until 1964. The one exception was the 50 Fathom, but that design was by Gagnan as well. In turn, Voit manufactured many of USD's rubber goods. The single hose regs that were sold by Voit after 1963 were designed and manufactured by AMF. The companies did part ways around that time, and each was left to its own accord. One hard piece of evidence are the various Voit VR-1 Sportsman regs that have "USD" stamped on the front cans. Also, black and gold labled Voit Navy regs are marked "Made In France".

Nick Icorn, a noted scuba historian, told me personally that he witnessed Voit DH regs being assembled in the USD plant. I have also conversed with other Voit employees who have substantiated that story. Dr. Sam Miller, another diving pioneer, has also verified the Voit/USD connection.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom