Conshelf 21 with weird hole in HP port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m wondering if this is some sort of F-ing epidemic or something since I saw the other thread about the MK 10 with a crack in the HP port.
So, I was swapping around some SPG’s and glanced into the HP port of my Connie and saw this:
59B3B71B-197C-4CBE-83D5-3B3A149B07C1.jpeg D7BE90BA-219F-4A9D-ABC3-9EDDC2D4A2BD.jpeg
Is this normal? I thought maybe it was just an Aqualung thing and perhaps some rough machining.
Just like the MK10, shouldn’t that be a nice little neat pinhole not a gaping crater looking thing?
If it’s not normal how does it happen and what causes it? I’ve swapped out HP hoses dozens of times on this reg and never noticed it and never noticed any chunks or pieces of metal. Not that they weren’t there, I just didn’t notice. None of my SPG’s ever stopped working either because of clogging, so I’m kind of scratching my head.

Now I'm going to take a look at a couple of my Conshelfs.... But that looks more melted than anything. Brings to mind pictures of O2 fire results I've seen. Do you know if that reg has ever been used for 100%?

Respectfully,

James

Maybe, in a service, the original capilar hole was so corroded that someone drilled a big hole to restablish it.
A friend on mine asked me to see a SPG that was not working and it resulted that the capilar hole in the HP hose was closed with green corrosion. I had to redrill a hole (not a capilar hole) in the hose to restablish it. He didn´t want to change the HP hose.

I just checked 2 Conshelf XII's, a Conshelf XI, and 2 Conshelf Supreme bodies, and all had the nice, clean, pinhole in the center of the HP port that you'd expect.
Looking at your picture on the computer (instead of my phone), I think Emoreira hit the nail on the head. Looks to me like someone hand drilled a new HP passage at an angle (possibly after filling the original with solder).

Well, the reg was a freebie in a box of stuff that was given to me so I’m not terribly worried about it. But it is a nice little beach diving reg for entry/exit on beach dives in stirred up sandy conditions.
Is there any harm still using it since the SPG is still getting pressure, or is this a grenade waiting to go off?

Just a fast gas supply loss if your HP hose fails.
Or just put a plug in and use a J valve.
I only use the reg for short shallow shore dives.
But I’m actually more interested in using the MK 2 again for those dives so the Connie might get some shelf time.

Got a mig or tig welder? If so, you could fill it in and drill out a smaller hole?

Now I'm going to take a look at a couple of my Conshelfs.... But that looks more melted than anything. Brings to mind pictures of O2 fire results I've seen. Do you know if that reg has ever been used for 100%?

Respectfully,

James
I have no idea the history of the reg. It was given to me by a past next door neighbor and he got it free from someone else. It sat for years and he never used it.
But it was clean inside when I tore it down the first time and put a kit in it. I missed the port though.
Teaches me to really look these things over in the future.
This is also a good heads up for those looking for screaming flea-bay deals.

Back
Top Bottom