Confused by First experience of Decompression Illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would in the future dive nitrox and use straight air tables.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Amy,
I'll echo what DocVikingo said about you being very fortunate that your symptoms resolved on O2, and add that you're even more fortunate that they didn't come back with a vengeance after you discontinued the oxygen. You appear to have had a pretty clear-cut case of decompression illness, and DCI should ALWAYS be treated in a hyperbaric chamber, even if you're completely asymptomatic after using surface oxygen.
Best regards,
DDM

The last two mornings I have (imagined?) that my feet are tingling. DAN said the nitrogen would already have left my body and suggested I have a neurological test to check if there was any permanent impact. They had no medical contact in Manila where I live. It's been 5.5 days now since the incident. Do you recommend I chase up some hyperbaric chamber treatment? At what point does it become too late?

It's been 5.5 days now since the incident. Do you recommend I chase up some hyperbaric chamber treatment?

Hi AmyKB,

The offending inert gas bubbles left your body shortly after onset. While hyperbaric 02 can in some instances provide some relief, e.g., where the signs and symptoms are the result of inadequate perfusion of a body part, you cannot count on this. And, given only tingling of the feet so mild it may be imagined, there is no rush to begin what can be a protracted and costly series of rides.

DAN's advice to contact a neurologist appears to be a reasoned and prudent one.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Last edited:
Kim,
I sent you a PM with contact info for a local hyperbaric physician. Concur with DocV in that this far out from the incident, hyperbaric therapy will probably be of little benefit. The good news is that if you do have residual neurological symptoms, it's very likely that they will resolve completely over time.
Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom