Conducting your own VIS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recognizing the stickers is another issue.

There's no requirement that any fill station accept any particular VIP or "O2 clean" sticker, so even if you go to the trouble of getting certified and doing your own tanks, you might not actually receive any benefit for your effort.

If I was the guy doing the fills and a tank came in with an inspection cert I didn't recognize, there's no way I'd fill it. Having a tank neck explode because the inspector missed a neck crack can ruin your whole day.

Terry

This is very true and is why it pays to get to know your local fill station operators. When traveling is it good to have to a copy of your cert in case someone questions you. And remember if you do inspections for friends that you are now opening yourself up to a potential liability.

There's no requirement that any fill station accept any particular VIP or "O2 clean" sticker, so even if you go to the trouble of getting certified and doing your own tanks, you might not actually receive any benefit for your effort.

Like I say, I have my own compressor...and am reasonably isolated. I don't get my cylinders to a dive shop as much as some can. As well, by the time I get back to the dive shop to pick them up, 3 mos. could have passed.

BTW - Annual visual inspection is not a legal requirement only a scuba industry standard. And technically if you are filling your own cylinders and not transporting them you do not even need a hydro. However, both a prudent,

Your favorite agency (TDI) also has a VIP class

I am aware that TDI has a course.....do you have nothing in life better to with your time Jeff? PS---I opt. on this call to take the PSI route as I felt having examined both courses/materials/support it was better.

BTW - Annual visual inspection is not a legal requirement only a scuba industry standard. And technically if you are filling your own cylinders and not transporting them you do not even need a hydro. However, both a prudent,

Yea and neither are scuba certification legally needed to go scuba dive and purchase said gear. But Like you said they are prudent.

I am aware that TDI has a course.....do you have nothing in life better to with your time Jeff?
You are a serious whack job.

You posted a PSI link and I just added the fact that TDI had courses too. (Which you neglected to add even though "you are aware" that they had a course.)

Feeling persecuted?

Too funny.

You are a serious whack job.

You posted a PSI link and I just added the fact that TDI had courses too. (Which you neglected to add even though "you are aware" that they had a course.)

Feeling persecuted?

Too funny.

LOL...you are the whack...get real!

It had already been pointed out in a post after mine and prior to yours that TDI has a class. I did not include TDI as my own choice....I took a PSI course, as I then and do feel it to be the better of the two courses---simple....why recommend one I picked not to take...I like PSI for this instruction....they do a great job!

Now please go back to your hole....should be your lunch time soon.

LOL...you are the whack...get real!

It had already been pointed out in a post after mine and prior to yours that TDI has a class. I did not include TDI as my own choice....I took a PSI course as I then and do feel it to be the better of the two courses---simple.

Now please go back to your cage....should be your lunch time soon.

<snicker>

Maybe if you looked at the timestamp you would see that we posted at pretty much the same time. But that would require that you would be able to think and that is not a proven quality for you.

If you think it is a better class, there could be something wrong with it.

JeffG.............. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Now please allow this fellow board member this thread back!

If I was the guy doing the fills and a tank came in with an inspection cert I didn't recognize, there's no way I'd fill it. Having a tank neck explode because the inspector missed a neck crack can ruin your whole day.

Terry

Terry... You're right and we covered this issue here and there almost regularly as you know.

It is depending on your location and acquaintance with LDS. I don't have any issue with my own VIP in one of my LDS, a cave country, and FL resorts. Even they wanted to hire me for VIP and O2 cleaning. I was also told that some FL shops don't honor it.

So, it is hard to tell if it is worth or not because there are many factors to differentiate your situation.

Just my 2 bar.

Back
Top Bottom