Conditions at Jocassee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would be nice to get some more people out to the lake. It's up to Allen but I believe we should probably be out there pretty early. AIf all goes as planned I will probably drive up there Sat. night and stay the night or drive up real early on Sunday. I will be bringing my non-diving girlfriend (a chef) and probably a portable grill for lunch.
Right now in a holding pattern waiting to make sure Allen is free for Sunday. :)

Matt

Miller:
Maybe. What time do you plan on being there?
9:00 AM @ Divers Ramp.
Its for sure now.
VIZ REPORT PLEASE!
No one dove there lately?

berniechip2003:
Hi,
Was thinking of going to Jocassee this weekend. I was there in the spring. Was wondering what the conditions were like now. Visibility? Water temp? (I wore a double 7M last time is that still necessary, or did the water warm up?) Thinking of going Saturday, any help before then would be great.
Thanks
Bernie

bernie, I hear others speaking of the Jocassee. What the dive opportunity there? Lastly, with your two 7 mil suits, how much weight additional does this require above your warm water weight? thanks, Bill

billygene:
bernie, I hear others speaking of the Jocassee. What the dive opportunity there? Lastly, with your two 7 mil suits, how much weight additional does this require above your warm water weight? thanks, Bill

Good question. I am going to be doing a bouyancy check when I get there as I have never dove in this new 7mm I have and haven't dove with my LP 112 steel tanks. I was told 50 degrees or so at about 100' so I'm going to be trying out this Pinnacle Polar 7mm. I'm going to be bringing a roadtrip grill and some flounder tommarrow as well. My GF (Professional Sous Chef), will be grilling while we are diving. Hopefully you can make it tommarrow,

Matt

Got in two dives with Quetzal early on the AM on 12/12/04. Nobody was at the divers pier, so it was nice to have it all to ourselves. My computer readout tells me it was 59 degrees, but I believe Quetzal's was much different. Unfortunately with the 7mm, my Citizen Hyper Aqualand wouldn't fit around the wrist so I didn't have another temp guage to determine what was the real reading. I need to get a new band. Anyways, on the first dive we went down to the 100' platform and I was severely overweighted. Woohoo, that was a fun one. Viz was pretty good at about 25' and there was no snot layer. After ditching quite a bit of weight we went on another dive off the pier and pulled along the guidelines to the boat wreck off the pier. Also saw the skeleton had a new scuba regulator working down below. Great set of dives and good Viz, wish some more people would have came out. We went to the hothole on keowee after these dives. I posted a report over on the hothole thread, but maybe Quetzal will chime in with his reports.

Matt

billygene:
I think its a good place to practise as the viz is 15-40' and depths range up to 300'. You can do a 100' + dive off the ramp on a gentle slope, or you can swim out a ways and go down a buoy which simulates a anchor line, and then can come up the "anchor line" or do an open water ascent. Can always do an open water descent also and all this with depths of 30' or 100' +. Not much to look at though there are a few things, ie. skelleton, sunken boat, dead trees, bass, catfish, carp etc. But you can't beat the price $2.00 entry to the State park.

Corigan:
Got in two dives with Quetzal early on the AM on 12/12/04. Nobody was at the divers pier, so it was nice to have it all to ourselves. My computer readout tells me it was 59 degrees, but I believe Quetzal's was much different. Unfortunately with the 7mm, my Citizen Hyper Aqualand wouldn't fit around the wrist so I didn't have another temp guage to determine what was the real reading. I need to get a new band. Anyways, on the first dive we went down to the 100' platform and I was severely overweighted. Woohoo, that was a fun one. Viz was pretty good at about 25' and there was no snot layer. After ditching quite a bit of weight we went on another dive off the pier and pulled along the guidelines to the boat wreck off the pier. Also saw the skeleton had a new scuba regulator working down below. Great set of dives and good Viz, wish some more people would have came out. We went to the hothole on keowee after these dives. I posted a report over on the hothole thread, but maybe Quetzal will chime in with his reports.

Matt
Corigan I remeber reading 54 degs at the surface and 48 deg at 109' depth. You said 59 deg what was your low? I think 59 might have been the air temp.
Any way we had fun. I really wasn't cold and I was only wearing a 5mm and beany hat.

QUETZAL:
Corigan I remeber reading 54 degs at the surface and 48 deg at 109' depth. You said 59 deg what was your low? I think 59 might have been the air temp.
Any way we had fun. I really wasn't cold and I was only wearing a 5mm and beany hat.

That sounds for accurate to me. I had never had a false reading off my uwatec air z nitrox,but 59 degrees seemed like a false reading to me.

Definately was a good time SuprBugMan. Hopefully my Wisdom teeth heal quickly and We can get some dives in together after the new year. Maybe next time we meet up I won't be so limited for time I could make the alternate dive site if our primary is a bust like last time. :) Take care Mat, hope to dive with you soon.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom