Conditioning Regimen for Technical Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber:
"Cameron is certified as a Health & Fitness instructor the the American College of Sports Medicine...."

You may choose to view a certification as an expertise in a field, that is your affair and it is your health. However, it is not terribly difficult to pass ACSM cert exams (85% pass practical testing) nor does that give anyone a background in the field. You can take this test with an associates in biology or recreation after a two-day workshop with four books. Degree-holders have had 2-3 credit semester-long courses for each chapter/unit these workshops cover.

That being said... if Cameron is a good businessman and good writer, then he probably has sound sources for his information... meaning the ideas may be sound. But let's be clear on this... they are not his ideas or he has overreached his background.

Because I took AOW and Deep diving certification courses and passed them... does that make me an advanced and deep diving expert? Would you read my book and promote it to others?

This exchange is slightly unfair to Cameron since, as I stated before, I have not reviewed his sources. I am only cautioning readers to understand that promotion of this book is imprudent, since it is people's health we're discussing.

ehuber,

While your advice is sound when referring to a person hard to track down, I am only an email away from both this site and my website at DiveFitness.com. To say that promotion of this book is imprudent is outrageous, and your comments about my background and certification are completely uncalled for. You have not done your homework.

As far as the book, which you have not read but cannot say enough about in this an other postings, have I not included the comments of enough experts in diving and decompression physiology at http://www.divefitness.com/html/reviews.html to allay your otherwise unwarranted concerns? Additionally, as mentioned, the entire book is footnoted with references to peer-reviewed research. What other fitness book, on diving or otherwise, can say that? Not a single one.

Cameron

I have Camerons Book and I think that it is outstanding! It is writen by a diver for divers... I really like the section on back care and lifting and carrying doubles. There are plenty of pictures and it is loaded with tips and other helpful info.

I say must have for any divers library

I have Cameron's book. I think it is more of an encyclopedia of diving fitness. It is well written, organized, fully illustrated, and a worthwhile investment. Cameron is extremely modest and I would say his flaw is that he doesn't promote his book enough.

"To say that promotion of this book is imprudent is outrageous, and your comments about my background and certification are completely uncalled for. You have not done your homework."

I'm not sure someone with a two-day workshop cert listed as a basis for expertise should be suggesting to someone with a full degree in the field has not done his homework, but it is fairly ironic.

I have made no attempt to discredit anyone's sources, books or websites... only pointed out that perhaps evaluating someone's background and motives is an important point and may have been overlooked by the layperson's advocating this publication. People may suggest that Cameron does not promote his book enough, but in every post I've seen his username the link to his website is conspicuously included.

ehuber:
"To say that promotion of this book is imprudent is outrageous, and your comments about my background and certification are completely uncalled for. You have not done your homework."

I'm not sure someone with a two-day workshop cert listed as a basis for expertise should be suggesting to someone with a full degree in the field has not done his homework, but it is fairly ironic.

I have made no attempt to discredit anyone's sources, books or websites... only pointed out that perhaps evaluating someone's background and motives is an important point and may have been overlooked by the layperson's advocating this publication. People may suggest that Cameron does not promote his book enough, but in every post I've seen his username the link to his website is conspicuously included.
If you want to refute any of the book's content, have at it. But your arguments against this book so far have nothing to do with its content... they are a pure ad hominem fallacy. Read the book, and bless us with your expert opinion on its content, not its author's formal education.
Rick

As you can clearly read from the quote you took from my comment, Mr Murchison, that I have made "no attempt to discredit anyone's sources, books or websites..." so I don't think that it's really necessary to point out that my comments have nothing to do with its content. I plainly stated that. Calling my argument 'fallacy' is, forgive me for saying so, a bit obtuse.

If you do not think that this author's academic background is prudent or applicable --or pointing this out to other readers is unjustifiable-- then feel free to stand by that belief. But since I have a background in this field, I believe that affords me the right to point out to people that a certification is nowhere near an expertise in any subject area.

But this is not new information on a scuba forum, where I read that every day. If you do not wish to read what I have to write, feel free to ignore my comments or put me on /ignore. But please do not suggest to me that I should refrain from commenting on an area that I have paid my dues.

ehuber:
As you can clearly read from the quote you took from my comment, Mr Murchison, that I have made "no attempt to discredit anyone's sources, books or websites..." so I don't think that it's really necessary to point out that my comments have nothing to do with its content. I plainly stated that. Calling my argument 'fallacy' is, forgive me for saying so, a bit obtuse.

If you do not think that this author's academic background is prudent or applicable --or pointing this out to other readers is unjustifiable-- then feel free to stand by that belief. But since I have a background in this field, I believe that affords me the right to point out to people that a certification is nowhere near an expertise in any subject area.

But this is not new information on a scuba forum, where I read that every day. If you do not wish to read what I have to write, feel free to ignore my comments or put me on /ignore. But please do not suggest to me that I should refrain from commenting on an area that I have paid my dues.
Give me a break! Your intent is clear, and it is to cast doubt on the content of the book by attacking its author's credentials - a classic tactic for one who doesn't really want to discuss the real issue. Your claim that you're making "no attempt to discredit anyone's sources, books or websites" while attacking the authority of the author is at the the very least disingenuous...
If there is something in the book that warrants correction, comment or even derision, please do share that with us. Otherwise, all I see is sour grapes.
Rick

I have used Cameron's book, along with Steve Ilg's books and a few others ie (The Anatomy of Strength Training) to develop programs for myself and my family. I have no qualms about Cameron's background or his qualifications to make statements regarding fitness/health and training. His information correlates well with what I have learned elsewhere.

This seems highly deflatable pomposity tempered with a thick shoulder chip. You should have that checked out by a qualified ego adjuster.

ChrisA:
I've got some little stubby fins for the pool.... Just normal smimming with these stubby fins helps the legs in exactly the right way for scuba but you wil go much faster and do more metrs in the same time, so you add some distence.

I found that holding a kickboard vertically in the water in front of me to maximize drag made it seem more like swimming with SCUBA gear on -- not so much speed or distance, but good, hard exercise!

But I don't think I'll cover myself in duct tape to simulate the way my drysuit/undergarment constrain my movements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom