Conditioning Regimen for Technical Scuba Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireman Ken

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on a fitness/conditioning regiment that will be compatible with my diving habit.

Over the past year, I have become highly involved in technical diving. I am diving deeper, longer, using enhanced mixes and of course have more nitrogen in my bloodstream. I am also divemastering for Open Water divers; and in that situation, do a lot of short dives of 30 ft or less on air.

I am also very much into fitness. I am currently an active runner and swimmer and used to be highly involved in cycling. I lifted weights, but have cut back because of the running.

I am in great health; not overweight; but in my forties.

What are the do's and don'ts for a workout regiment that will enhance my diving and keep me safe. For example as a rule, I don't run for at least 12 hours after a dive. What I am looking for are those exercises that would serve as good cross training for the diving. I need to create a new workout regiment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you might have for me.

Ken

Check out Crossfit.com, it's been great for me. I'm not a technical diver (rec only), but I am a martial arts guy and I've had great results.

I hate promoting my own website, but nobody else has responded. <g> I've put 7 years of research into this very topic in a website and book at http://www.divefitness.com/. Just keep in mind that *any* good program that provides elements of cardiovascular and strength conditioning will make your diving better.

Cameron

Thanks folks. This is exactly what I'm looking for are good sites so I can tailor a fitness program that will enhance, not hurt my divetime.

Ken

I've got some little stubby fins for the pool. I think they are called "zoomers" or something like that. Anyways they are a "standard" you can buy anyplace they sell swimm goggles. They are closed heel (no strap) and all rubber made of a kind not un-like "Jets" but blue. If you lay on your back and maybe hold a kickboard to help float and to 100M if frog kicks. Just normal smimming with these stubby fins helps the legs in exactly the right way for scuba but you wil go much faster and do more metrs in the same time, so you add some distence. the short answer is "pool fins"

Just found it using Google
http://www.zoomers.net/zoomers.htm

I'll second the crossfit.com, both as a workout routine and reference site. To really make use of the information on the site, you need to get past the front page and the big numbers in the Workout of the Day {WOD}. Everything is scalable to both a person&#8217;s ability and specific needs. Spend some time on the forum and ask the questions you need, you will get good answers as well as personal opinions ~ this is the real benefit of the Crossfit community. Also a good place to start reading is the section called 'What is Crossfit', followed by 'What is fitness'.

I have recently discovered Cameron's web site/book listed above, and I will be spending some time going over the articles and specific routines/exercises for diving. Looks like interesting reading.

I have not read Cameron Martz book, so I will reserve judgement...

But nowhere in any of his background information does it suggest that he has any education or background in fitness, exercise physiology, anatomy, personal training, athletic training, physical therapy, or medicine. All of his background appears to be in business (sales) so you may wish to take his approach as a personal approach to HIS fitness as it relates to triathlons and diving for Cameron Martz.

If you have any personal limitations (heart disease, injuries, etc) I would highly recommend consulting a fitness professional and your doctor before implementation of any ideas, no matter who the author. That's not to say he isn't well informed, but it should also be said he is no expert either... and a fitness certification (as in scuba) is only as valuable as the paper it is printed on.

I am not trolling here, for trouble, just a BS in Fitness with a grad school background in Education... so I know just enough to say you should definitely scrutinize carefully and use professionals when dealing with your health.

Cameron's book has been working well for me.

From the back of his book... "Cameron is certified as a Health & Fitness instructor the the American College of Sports Medicine...."

He did very extensive research before writing his book. Each chapter is full of references to a very wide variety of scholarly articles. It isn't stuff he just camp up with or invented on his own.

TwoBit

Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu...great mental and physical workout. Found a place around the corner from my office which offers it at lunchtime...it's perfect. Great workout and I can go back to work refreshed. I can't believe what it's done to my fitness either!

"Cameron is certified as a Health & Fitness instructor the the American College of Sports Medicine...."

You may choose to view a certification as an expertise in a field, that is your affair and it is your health. However, it is not terribly difficult to pass ACSM cert exams (85% pass practical testing) nor does that give anyone a background in the field. You can take this test with an associates in biology or recreation after a two-day workshop with four books. Degree-holders have had 2-3 credit semester-long courses for each chapter/unit these workshops cover.

That being said... if Cameron is a good businessman and good writer, then he probably has sound sources for his information... meaning the ideas may be sound. But let's be clear on this... they are not his ideas or he has overreached his background.

Because I took AOW and Deep diving certification courses and passed them... does that make me an advanced and deep diving expert? Would you read my book and promote it to others?

This exchange is slightly unfair to Cameron since, as I stated before, I have not reviewed his sources. I am only cautioning readers to understand that promotion of this book is imprudent, since it is people's health we're discussing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom