Concrete entry at Marine Land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa:
No problem. Just send in your $59.95, I'll even include a Dr.Bill DVD with your first issue.

Dave

Not unless I get a good healthy cut!

Really do hope to dive OML to see all the critters Phil and others talk about. However, at my advaned age, I hope it is off a boat!

We stopped in at Marineland on the way over to Abalone Cove Saturday. Looks like the entire site is scrapped down to bare ground. I wondered if it would be OK to use the main parking lot since the gate was open. Conditions didn't look good. Abalone Cove was ok but the hike up is a lot steeper than Marineland.

drbill:
Not unless I get a good healthy cut!

Really do hope to dive OML to see all the critters Phil and others talk about. However, at my advaned age, I hope it is off a boat!
My fiancee Merry will be 59 in August. When she's not diving at Marineland on the weekends she can be found hauling large rocks up from the cove for her yard. There will be a steel staircase leading to the beach soon, so you can always sit and rest on your way back up. :)
OML19feb06-07.jpg

SV500001-1.jpg

MaxBottomtime:
My fiancee Merry will be 59 in August. When she's not diving at Marineland on the weekends she can be found hauling large rocks up from the cove for her yard. There will be a steel staircase leading to the beach soon, so you can always sit and rest on your way back up. :)

Every time I go to Marineland, I'm supposed to bring a small rock back for my girlfriend's garden. It's not enough we have to haul all of our gear and weights back up that ramp...

What's this about a STEEL staircase???

Once the parking lot is closed we will have to use the new lot. We will have to haul our gear across the trail from the condos east of Marineland. The staircase will lead from the top of the cliff down to the cobble beach. It is just temporary, until they pave the new lower road. No word on when the stairs will be installed, nor when they will be removed.

MaxBottomtime:

Yeah, but she looks like she's in much better shape than I am!!

Congrats, Phil and Merry.

Last time I tried to dive Marineland, I wound up performing a rescue, instead. I need to get down that way again. The two or three times before that, we had jack for viz. Still a very cool dive, though, I need to get down that way again.

The surf was up today and vis was zero, nada, zilch. The security guard (Julian) told me that today was the last day we could park in the main lot. Of course, we heard that last month as well.

Returning from three wonderful days of diving Monterey, Ken and I were talking over plans for Monday (we both had the day off.)

"How about Marineland?", he said.

"Sure", I said. "Great idea. Vis couldn't be worse than it was at the Breakwater today... 3 feet was pretty amusing on a scooter!"

Monday morning, we rolled into the construction site that is now Terranea.
Glassy calm water. Blazing sunshine with cool breezes.
1 foot surf. Some surge, (but certainly manageable after it pushed us around a bit.)
And.... we could see through the water.

We could see rocks! Through the Water!!!! Holy Cow!!!!!

Entering at the point, we could easily see the bottom at our descent point, 30 feet below us.
The vis was never less than 40 feet all over the pinnacles at the Point, continuing 2/3's of the way back to Cobble Beach. As we did mid-water rolling stops at 40, 30, 20, and 10 fsw, we could easily see crabs and rocks on the bottom and glittering silver at the surface. Pretty dang cool!

The 7 species of nudibranchs, although tiny by Monterey standards, were fun to find and lovely to look at: Cuthona laying eggs, D. albopunctatas, Clowns, FedEx's, trilineatas, San Diego dorids, Limbaughs cadlina.

Hermissenda crassicornis eggs are EVERYwhere out at the point, from 30 to 60 fsw.
I think there is about to be an outrageous population explosion in the next days/weeks. Watch for it! (Could navanax be far behind? :crafty: )

Some days just work out in spite of all other plans. This was one of those.

~~~~~~
Claudette
MaxBottomtime:
The surf was up today and vis was zero, nada, zilch. The security guard (Julian) told me that today was the last day we could park in the main lot. Of course, we heard that last month as well.

Back
Top Bottom