Concrete entry at Marine Land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl:
Marineland has teeth and sometimes it bites ya. :007:

I've been tossed/rolled...broke a mask and flooded my camera: all last year.

oh, and tossed into the rocks like a ragdoll (can't forget that one),

I agreel, leave OML as it is :wink:

I’ve paid my dues at OML. In 1972, my friend and I dove there about 10 times. For some reason we stopped diving there. Oh ya, I remember now, Doug, my friend cracked his skull and broke his wrist – on the same dive. Entry was easy, exit – 45 minutes later was 4’-6’ rollers. I have never even considered taking my lovely bride to such a place. However, this summer, we plan on giving it a try – from my brothers boat!

Although I do like the HBDiveGirl’s trebuchet idea, but how to get out? Maybe a they could install a chairlift arrangement.

Dave

Teamcasa:
...– from my brothers boat!

Did somebody say BOAT? Hey, I swab a mean deck!

Teamcasa:
However, this summer, we plan on giving it a try – from my brothers boat!
I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

well, i just counted my dives at OML (sorry phil, thats just how i know it) and I have 6 there,1 point entry and 5 off the cobble beach.. Worst incident so far was a slightly sprained wrist and finger and one "turtling". But I did have to strip my gear and pull my buddy out on one of the occasions. We came in to close to the cave and he was getting rolled by some med-lg (4-5') waves with almost no interval. This was on my third shore dive after being certified. We entered calm waters and came up to "rock n roll" lol. Defineitely taught me something about this site. It should not have easy access because the open exposure to the ocean can make it a whole different situation than you first walked into. You must have the skills to get in if your ever gonna get out. Easy entry = people getting hurt because they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Now, About that Boat.....

CompuDude:
I find your ideas intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

No problem. Just send in your $59.95, I'll even include a Dr.Bill DVD with your first issue.

Dave

I came across this post and found it interesting. Although I live and dive in the greater Boston area, I dove at the Marineland site when I was in southern California in July 2005 during my PADI Course Director class at Newport Beach. I met up with a buddy who lives in S. Cal. and he took me to go diving at Rancho Palos Verdes on one of our days off. It was totally unlike anything we have here. First there was the long hike down the steep cliff in the hot sun wearing all my gear. Then on reaching the water there are rollers that we only get here if we are having a hurricane. Once we got in the water the dive was fine. There was an underwater line leading out to a sort of wreck. The next adventure was trying to get back on the shore. I just gave up all sense of pride and self-respect and simply crawled out of the water on my hands and knees. Then the walk back up the cliff in the hot sun with all my gear on.

It was quite an adventure. We also tried to do a night dive at Shaw's Cove but even my Cali buddy aborted it because of the size of the breakers.

Please tell me all southern California shore diving is not like this!

ivyleaguediver:
Please tell me all southern California shore diving is not like this!
Well, I can't really help you with the hot sun... this is SoCal.

But no, not all SoCal shore diving is like that. OML has a rep for being among the most challenging... and rewarding... for a reason, as this thread should tell you.

Awww guys,.. you have me in tears.

I grew up directly above Marineland right off of Hawthorne Blvd and had a great view of it from my bedroom window. (Yes,.. I was spoiled,.. I make no apologies for that.). I remember going there as a kid when it was still open, and even hearing the sea lions at feeding time when I was going to bed. The day that they announced it was closing was heartbreaking. Even more heartbreaking was the night I woke up around 2am and witnessed them hoisting the two killer whales out of their tanks and taking them to a shipping vessel.

I've since moved and now live in the Monterey area and only started diving three years ago. My parents still live in P.V. and I walk the ghost town that is Marineland every chance I get. One of these days I'll dive it (and walk away with any bruises/broken bones proudly). If anyone is willing to dive with me, I'd appreciate the guide.

As of a couple months ago, the ghost town is now gone. There is nothing but a large construction site now, although they can't seem to get their Coastal Commision permit so we still have access to our old parking spots. The waves were a bit too much yesterday. Two intrepid souls, Divebum Don and Drysuit Greg braved the surf and reported zero visibility at depth.
The funny thing is, I would rather dive there than anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom