Concern over Ikelite Housing for CanonS95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that Indigo. You were very lucky to have figured out the issue before it cracked the screen on the camera.
I haven't made a final decision on housing but am leaning toward the FIX. The access to the back ring seems to be somewhat important. Let me know how you like your setup now that the issue is resolved and whether you think you'd spend the extra money on FIX if money weren't an issue to be able to use the rear control ring.

Well, I was pretty well sold on the Ikelite housing for the S95 but think I've changed my mind. I'd be really frustrated to spend that time and money then have to make my own modifications or have a screen crack.

Ikelite's response seemed to be quite reasonable and very practical. How many manufacturers of anything would recommend a practical field fix that solves an issue and with very little downtime?

I comment Ikelite for their response.

Interesting reading of these issues.. still trying to decide what the best approach will be for me. Is the Iklite houseing much bigger.. or any bigger than the Cannon housing? Does Cannon manufacture their own housings or do they "farm out the job" and brand them?

I've just placed an order for an ikelite housing for my newly bought s95, then i see this thread...

Does all ikelite housing for s95 have this problem?
Has ikelite contacted their dealers from all over the world on this issue??

Ike Lite has the finest customer service I have ever experienced, They will take care of this!!
I would like to echo Jim Ernst's comment above.

While I've never had a single issue with my Ike/S90 housing, I have called/emailed Ikelite with an occasional "unique" question or observation. The phone is answered in 2 rings, usually by one their knowledgeable engineers or sales staff. Always a pleasure to talk to them, and they have always provided a "meaty" answer/solution. Should I ever have an issue or need a repair, etc., I can tell you I won't be losing any sleep over the competence or "bed side manner" of Ikelite :)

Now with that said, I can tell you that I have beat the c**p out of my Ike/S90 housing over the past 4 months, and it has held up well with no issues. For those of you "on the fence" with the Ike/S90/S95, just go ahead and pull the trigger :) Besides, why not, it's Christmas and you deserve a new toy !

Took my camera for a dive yesterday. Noticed there was still slight pressure (light) down the rhs when I had the lense cap on so was quite worried about the screen cracking.

However, I have just had an email from Ikelite (Australia) who have offered to arrange for Ikelite USA to post a replacement screen foam to me at no charge (unless I want to use DHL and then it would be for my account). The postal system in South Africa is terrible and I really can't wait 3 weeks which is the standard postal delivery time here from the States (if anything ever arrives). Every parcel is opened by the postal thieves before (if) it reaches us in this country!

I'm going to order this from Ikelite South Africa today so that they can hopefully get it with their next shipment.

I love the feel of the housing, it is nice and solid, the shutter is steady and confident. I do a lot of video work and the Canon gives great, crisp results topside. The sensor is very sensitive so after I've adjusted the white balance underwater using a white slate, I need to adjust the exposure down to prevent overexposure. Unfortunately dived in bad viz yesterday (2m) so although the Macro was good, the wider angle footage of divers was terrible with lots of particles and milky water.

Regarding the photography, this is the first time with a camera where I am able to do anything more than point and shoot, so the photos were dismal and blurry. I shot on AV and F8, adjusted white balance and set the film to ISO400. All my photos turned out blurry and terrible but practice makes perfect and I will keep on persevering. I think I should set the shutter speed myself on Manual mode to something quite fast! Not using a strobe and am not planning to do so yet.

Would love to keep this thread going, or start another for S95 comments or photos. I am sure we have a lot to share and learn!

:D

I can't add anything but sure am reading....staying tuned

Wow, I just ordered an Ikelite for my S95. Really glad to have read this before I try to install my camera. Keep us posted.

We will make replacement LCD shades available at no charge. Within the US they are available by mail directly through the office at 317-923-4523 or ikelite@ikelite.com. For our customers outside of the US they will be available through your local Ikelite dealer or distributor:

Dealers

I apologize for the inconvenience. If downtime is an issue I strongly recommend modifying the top layer of the LCD shade as described in my previous post. Modification or replacement of the LCD shade as described will not void the warranty on the housing.

Production housings now feature the modified LCD shade. I will post a serial number as soon as I obtain one.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to this concern.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom