Concern over Ikelite Housing for CanonS95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indigo Scuba Africa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

I bought a Canon S95 for underwater photos / videos and the Ikelite housing for that model camera. I put the camera in the housing (correctly and according to Ikelite instructions) and made sure the cog was lined up with the dial on the front, I clicked the lock shut.

I turned on the camera and saw that the screen lit up down the rhs and specifically the bottom rhs corner of the screen (closest to the DISP button). As I still had the lense cover on the screen was black and the light was very evident. It appears that the foam around the lcd screen is pressing down on the rhs of the screen and making the screen light up where the pressure is the greatest.

Surely this cannot be good for the camera? Is Ikelite aware of this issue and how can it be fixed so that the foam does not press on the screen. I am concerned the screen will be damaged or crack (this has already happened to someone with an S90 housing - on the Canon forum). Surely this can't be good for the camera at all?

This is a brand new camera and I cannot afford to buy another camera or have it fixed!

Hoping to hear from Ikelite soon - I have waited a long time for the housing to arrive and need to use the camera for my business.

:shocked2:

Thank you for making us aware of this. The rear shade is a compressible foam material which has not been known to cause damage to camera LCD screens. We are making a production change to future housings to remove any possibility of unnecessary stress on the camera.

For concerned customers with existing S95 housings in the field, I suggest carefully peeling back the edge of the topmost foam layer nearest the pushbuttons. Using a pair of scissors or sharp knife, cut off one side of the foam layer. This leaves the thin foam in a "U" shape over the top, bottom and left hand side of the camera's LCD frame. I can post a photo of this if these instructions are unclear.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

We are only able to service products which are returned to our factory in the US. As Indigo is in South Africa, I think the quickest and most economical method would be to modify the viewfinder shade as described. A second solution would be to contact our distributor in South Africa for a complete replacement LCD shade, though that would result in a lot of wasted time (in shipping) without a resolution to the concern.

The quickest and most direct way to resolve any product problem is to contact us by e-mail at ikelite@ikelite.com or phone 317-923-4523.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean;

Please do post a photo of the modification.

Thx,
Jack

s95viewfinder.jpg

Well, I was pretty well sold on the Ikelite housing for the S95 but think I've changed my mind. I'd be really frustrated to spend that time and money then have to make my own modifications or have a screen crack.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have been using Sea&Sea up until now and decided to "upgrade' to a Canon whilst my Sea&Sea is in for repairs (buttons stopped working, skipped frames in video) - I need a camera for my dive business. After doing lots of research and finding out Canon had a problem with leaky housings, went for the Ikelite due to their excellent reputation.

I am feeling rather disappointed about this issue with the foam and am hesitant to make my own repairs as it might affect the warrantee at a later stage. I have just received an email from Ikelite in Australia (!??) asking for my serial number and will see when I can get to Ikelite in Cape Town to show them the problem.

It is a shame that my first experience with Ikelite has been a disappointing one and I hope that this will be resolved quickly and in good spirit.

I'll certainly keep you updated.

Thanks.

I'm seeing the same issue with an s95 in a s90 housing (with the s95 adapter installed), camera fully seated. All black image (of lens cap) for example:

sJfeL.jpg

It seems that the right edge of the screen on the s90 (on the bottom in the pic below) is framed by the camera body, whereas the s95 (the top camera in the pic below) still has some glass there.

SCYPl.jpg

Will trimming the foam as mentioned have an affect on my warranty?

The above picture is exactly what I have been experiencing! The screen is wider than the foam shade.

I took my housing and camera into Ikelite Cape Town yesterday and they removed the top (thinner and harder) layer of the foam shade off, leaving just the softer foam. This appeared to have solved the problem. I took it in because I was also concerned about tampering with the housing and losing my warranty.

Fortunately I kept the harder layer because on closer inspection back at the dive centre, the camera was no longer being securely held in place (not fully held down). I cut the rhs section and part of the bottom and top section of the harder layer and reapplied it (it was still sticky). The problem now appears to be solved.

If the foam shade does get changed to accommodate this larger part of the screen, I would really like to have a replacement please!

Back
Top Bottom