Concern over Ikelite Housing for CanonS95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ordered mine but I found this post before the order went through so the company i'm buying it from has delayed my shipment so they can send me out the newer serial number - i'm a happy chappy either way Ikelite sound great and the S95 seems to be a top class camera :D

Muzik, Thanks, I hope you are right.

I don't have my housing yet because I had it shipped to my daughter who lives in the States. I live overseas. My daughter verified that the serial number on my housing pre-dates the UC24000 serial number, so apparently will not have the fix. But I do not know if my housing will have the same problems that others have described since my housing is with my daughter. She is traveling here in 10 days so I'll have it then.

From all I have read here and elsewhere, it does sound as though Ikelite has great customer service. I will let you know how it goes for me.
I'm sure it will all work out in the end ! Keep us posted.

Got my housing last week with a pre-24000 number. It does not seem to impinge on the screen, and if it does trimming the shade looks easy enough.

Yesterday I emailed Ikelite and asked them to send the corrected LCD shade. Today, Ikelite wrote back saying that they are sending the shade priority mail. They also attached a photo showing a trimmed shade as a temporary fix. Seems pretty reasonable.

As requested by fab50diver, here are some of my first photos with the Canon S95 in my Ikelite housing.

These were taken with the housing, camera, no strobe or flash and manually setting the white balance with a white slate underwater. There was 3m viz, lots of surge and sediment in the water so I opted for Macro. I am really happy with the results!

I set the camera to Tv, 1/250 and ISO 200. Point, focus (half a shutter depression) and shoot! Admittedly, I do need to practice more.

Gasflame Nudibranch:
Picasa Web Albums - Kate Jonker

Rock Sucker:

Coral Nudibranch:

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Video coming soon!

:D

lovely.. thanks.. I am leaning towards the S95. How much post shot processing did yo have to do? Did you crop much and have you found a shadow a problem when you do use the flash without the strobe?

Sorry for all the questions but this is really helpful info for my final decision:worship:

My daughter brought me my housing today. The LCD shade did press on the screen and cause the problem discussed. However, the fix is very easy and has cured the problem. The LCD shade material is layered so a cut with a razor blade and gently peel back one layer of the material fixes the shade. Plus Ikelite has sent the new updated LCD shade so I'll replace this one soon.

A friend of mine here just got her Canon housing and wow, is it flimsy. I really like the Ikelite housing, it is very well built.

My new housing came in today with modification. Well built housing(awesome job Ikelite). I modify and engineer equipment for a living and this was well thought out. I will be machining a tray for it tomorrow so that I can use my old intova handles and arms.

I will be machining a tray for it tomorrow so that I can use my old intova handles and arms.

If you need 12-24 1/2 inch pan head Phillips screws PM me.

Back
Top Bottom