Concern over Ikelite Housing for CanonS95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cracking stuff - glad I read this forum I was looking at getting the S95 and Ikelite housing so if I do ill look for that serial number :D
Nice work and very quickly sorted out by Ikelite, impressive stuff - thanks to everyone :)

Good deal! I'm happy to see Ikelite is quick to respond to issues found by consumers.

Now, let's see some pics using the S95 in the Ikelite housing!

yes please

Just to double check, will the replacement shade also work in the S90 housing with an S95?

I've trimmed the two corners off the adapter pad and left a ~1.5-2cm sliver in the middle of the side closest the buttons (since Indigo mentioned his camera was a bit loose after the entire side was removed), and it's definitely reduced the pressure on the screen, but figure it'd be nice to have a cleaner looking LCD shade if possible.

Thanks for the prompt resolution/response.

Kudos to the Ikelite team.
Such speedy response really fill customers with confidence in your products.

I received this from Ikelite:

The design change has been made as a proactive measure. We have not issued a recall and do not consider housings shipped prior to the change to be defective.

Any housings shipped to dealers as of November 30 have the updated LCD shade (above SN# UC24000). We cannot guarantee the stock of each individual dealer and distributor. However based on the current demand for that housing would expect a new order with a US dealer to be filled with a new-style product.

Kudos to the Ikelite team.
Such speedy response really fill customers with confidence in your products.

As far as I'm concerned the Kudos to Ikelite would have been appropriate if their quality control department had kept this from being a problem in the first place.

Now as it is since my serial number is before the fix, I get to turn my brand new enclosure into a do-it-yourself fix it project. Pretty upsetting after spending nearly $300 on an enclosure I had hope would be better than the Canon enclosure (but apparently not).

As far as I'm concerned the Kudos to Ikelite would have been appropriate if their quality control department had kept this from being a problem in the first place.

Now as it is since my serial number is before the fix, I get to turn my brand new enclosure into a do-it-yourself fix it project. Pretty upsetting after spending nearly $300 on an enclosure I had hope would be better than the Canon enclosure (but apparently not).
triggerman365,

I am going to take some "mild exception" to your post above;

Have you actually identified that your housing has an issue ? If it does, and it's "brand new in the box" or never used yet, then perhaps there is some recourse from where you purchased, or even Ikelite. I can certainly understand having bought something with an expectation of it working correctly. We as consumers, all share the same expectation.

Ikelite is a great company for a couple of reasons; 1, they make a world class product, & 2, they have GREAT customer service ( see my earlier post in this same thread). In the case of the S95 housing, it has been out for about 3 months or so, and a minor issue has been identified. They reacted quickly and made adjustments to the manufacturing of future S95 housings, and have provided a solution for existing housings of the same. Not to mention, they participate in this forum, to provide another avenue of "after the sale" service/tech support/advice.

Your comment, "quality control department had kept this from being a problem in the first place", applies to just about every single thing we purchase, as consumers. The same statement could EASILY apply to Bridgestone tires, Toyota gas pedals (or just about ANY car manufacturer), food items, anything Chinese, and of course Microsoft or Apple. Look at all of the recalls, software/hardware/firmware updates, etc. No company/manufacturer is perfect. The "magic" of a company is when you DO have an issue. Try calling Microsoft and tell them "my computer just doesn't seem right". Try calling a factory in China to get a problem resolved. All of these companies I have mentioned "should have caught it in Quality Control", but ?

With all that said, there is no doubt in my mind, you will be taken care of one way or another by Ikelite or the dealer where you purchased. Rest assured, the Ikelite housing IS better than the Canon, (just my opinion of course).

Muzik, Thanks, I hope you are right.

I don't have my housing yet because I had it shipped to my daughter who lives in the States. I live overseas. My daughter verified that the serial number on my housing pre-dates the UC24000 serial number, so apparently will not have the fix. But I do not know if my housing will have the same problems that others have described since my housing is with my daughter. She is traveling here in 10 days so I'll have it then.

From all I have read here and elsewhere, it does sound as though Ikelite has great customer service. I will let you know how it goes for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom