Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a stupid and unnecessary discussion. Back in the 1990s Oceanic made an early dive computer that allowed you to set an oxygen percentage, rather than just using air. Out of an abundance of caution, they forced the percentage to jump to 50% O2 after a dive as a way to try and ensure you would set the damn thing before every dive. It was a noble but bad idea which they backed off from in their very next version of that computer -- more than two decades ago -- and gave the diver the choice of keeping that dumb auto reversion to 50% or turning it off. The manual was clear as a bell how do do that, and anybody who read the manual, or talked to a friend or to a dive shop, turned it off.

So the OP comes on and starts this thread that rants about how his ancient computer keeps reverting to 50% O2 and he can't turn it off. OK, he's just lucky that ancient computer is still working!

This is NOT a problem today. Computers either do not revert to 50%, or you can turn it off.

There is no need for getting into design principles.....it is irrelevant to the thread. The thread was ill-posed to begin with, and the problem was solved over two decades ago.

In conclusion, six angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Computer is just a tool.
It is the "operator" fault for not knowing how to use it correctly.
What is the purpose of having a manual? Out of sight and out of mind!

This is a stupid and unnecessary discussion. Back in the 1990s Oceanic made an early dive computer that allowed you to set an oxygen percentage, rather than just using air. Out of an abundance of caution, they forced the percentage to jump to 50% O2 after a dive as a way to try and ensure you would set the damn thing before every dive. It was a noble but bad idea which they backed off from in their very next version of that computer -- more than two decades ago -- and gave the diver the choice of keeping that dumb auto reversion to 50% or turning it off. The manual was clear as a bell how do do that, and anybody who read the manual, or talked to a friend or to a dive shop, turned it off.

So the OP comes on and starts this thread that rants about how his ancient computer keeps reverting to 50% O2 and he can't turn it off. OK, he's just lucky that ancient computer is still working!

This is NOT a problem today. Computer either do not revert to 50%, or you can turn it off.

There is no need for getting into design principles.....it is irrelevant to the thread. The thread was ill-posed to begin with, and the problem was solved over two decades ago.

OP stated that it reverts to air. I mentioned 50% from years ago. If it’s still reverting to anything these days, that’s a crap design. Regardless of whether you can turn it off or not.

I believe it was someone else.

Agreed. First time I heard about the 50% was when I got my first computer. Oceanic ProPlus 2. I read about it in the manual before I even used it.

I decided to turn it off, as it wasn’t really an issue. The diver should turn on their computer and ensure it is set correctly before splashing. I found that easy enough to do on the Oceanics (PP2, VT4.1, and Veo 2). Menu is pretty straight forward. Holding the setting for 24 hours after a dive is not a big deal either. Generally, that works for the way I dive. Multiple dives are usually filled to the same mix.

Now, the Oceanic menu structure isn’t as easy to navigate as the Shearwater, but it’s not bad either. At least in the versions with at least two buttons.

I’ve showed up at checkout dives where students had no clue how to change settings on their DC. Normally, I’m helpful, but if I see it’s a one button DC, I will have to pass. I will never understand why one button computers still exist.

This is a stupid and unnecessary discussion. (...)

Agreed. (...)

I’ve showed up at checkout dives where students had no clue how to change settings on their DC. Normally, I’m helpful, but if I see it’s a one button DC, I will have to pass. I will never understand why one button computers still exist.
The simple fact that we're even discussing (a) computers that revert to 50% O2 and (b) the ridiculousness of one-button computers proves that design is a central, current, and necessary issue.

The simple fact that we're even discussing (a) computers that revert to 50% O2 and (b) the ridiculousness of one-button computers proves that design is a central, current, and necessary issue.
We are discussing a 20+ year old computer. How is that a current issue?
If you want to discuss generic computer design, you need to start a new thread.

Agree on the one button computers. Those should have been gone long ago.

I disagree on the 50%. That was introduced long ago with no means to turn off. Shortly after, the ability to turn that off was added. So, now, it’s an option. If the diver wants to uses it, it’s available. If not, they can turn it off. Not a big deal. And once it’s turned off, it stays off, even through battery changes. It may actually be off by default, I can’t recall.

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.

How old is your computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom