Computers and backups - looking for pearls of wisdom from the more experienced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @tbone1004

Will the Tech Lite version offer presets that are actually called 35/75. 40/85, and 45/95 as well as custom GFs or will the displays be somewhat different? It would actually be refreshing if the GF lows were increased to something reasonable.

Part of the issue with bringing the gf-lo presets up is an increase in liability against a "norm" being the long established gradient factors preset by Shearwater. I'd like to see them increased though especially given the recent recommendations of a GF-Lo being somewhere around 70% of the GF-hi.

Part of the issue with bringing the gf-lo presets up is an increase in liability against a "norm" being the long established gradient factors preset by Shearwater. I'd like to see them increased though especially given the recent recommendations of a GF-Lo being somewhere around 70% of the GF-hi.
Or 80% Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World

I dive 80/95 only doing light deco.

Little rich for my blood but I've been doing 60-80 I think for some of the big decos and it's worked well. For light deco I'm not convinced it matters a whole lot anyway since you are likely stuck with pretty shallow stops and do think at least a brief pause at half pressure is a good idea to let things stabilize *a minute at 30ft for a 100ft dive for example*

You're absolutely correct. I have never had a stop deeper than 10 ft. up to 14 min. My diving is nothing like yours, or others in this forum.

As a coldwater diver in a thermocline world, I have been running 70/70 for years. I have zero interest in cold deco. I can't understand the fight people have with it.

You're absolutely correct. I have never had a stop deeper than 10 ft. up to 14 min. My diving is nothing like yours, or others in this forum.
Okay, so inquiring minds want to know what makes your diving different? :)

Okay, so inquiring minds want to know what makes your diving different? :)
@tbone1004 is a technical diver/instructor. Deep dives, cave dives, significant deco, trimix, rebreather dives, are not uncommon for him.

Ninety five percent of my dives are no stop dives, within rec depth limits. My relatively uncommon deco dives average about 5 min of deco (1-14 min) at 10 feet. Only 1.6% of my dives have been deeper than 130 feet, half of those between 130-139 ft. Despite diving my Teric at 80/95, my dives are reasonably conservative. For my last 238 dives, my surfacing GF has averaged 55 (13-80).

So, that's how my dives are different than tbone1004's. I have a little over 2,100 dives in just under 25 years. How I dive today is based on that experience and what I have learned :)

I'm still confused as to the real issue @nanohawk had with the Eon Core

For the record the Eon Core uses Fused RGBM (Not normal RGMB) this is an important distinctinction

I have about 1200 dives on my Eon Steel and 500 of those I also had my Perdix as my backup computer - so I'm fairly confident in both machines

In Rec diving at the most aggressive personal settings both computers will run identical NDL times.

I've never had a Transmitter fail underwater and my only failure was not changing the battery at the correct time. I do keep a spg on my rig anyway - mainly for setting up the kit and if teaching when I don't use AI

I went with Perdix AI primary and a Peregrine back up....I do use an analog SPG/Compass console....Interestingly enough I had an analog brand new fail on me and luckily my Perdix AI worked fine for the dives.

I use an AI Perdix and a Cressi digital SPG which also keeps a record of previous dive and let's you know your time left to 50 bar from any point of the dive. I do not wear a watch so the Perdix is perfect for me.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

Backup computer is pointless for rec diving. The point of rec diving is you’re never under a deco ceiling: anything goes wrong you can ascend anytime. Safety stop is nice but it’s not a real deco stop, you can blow it off and still be “safe-ish”; that describes all of diving anyway. It’s a good idea to have a backup computer on any big trip but it lives in your save-a-dive kit with your o-rings and wrenches, it doesn’t normally get wet.

Redundancy is great for the things that keep you alive, sure. With serious tec diving with serious deco the computer qualifies, sure. There are still plenty of things that will kill you at 20’-45’ (or 20”-45”) but computer failure just isn’t one of them.

You won’t go far wrong with a AI Perdix as your primary computer though. You might not ever use its trimix or rebreather modes but the big bright screen, good controls, and bulletproof reliability will serve you every dive. That’s what I’ve got and I’m very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom