Computer.... Which one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YJSONLY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have looked and I am looking at a budget of less then 400 ish... I do not plan on going deeper then 120 ever. And maybe at some point get Nitrox but that will be my limit. I just want to buy one and make it count. So pros and cons please....

Get Nitrox capability - adds little to the cost since it's really just a change to the software in the dive computer. Get big numbers so you can see it in murky conditions or as your eyes get older. Get simplicity of operation; play with what you might want to buy to make sure it's easy to use. If you think you might want to download, consider the connection cable and software on laptop.

Suunto Zoop is one good example. Some people say that Suunto's algorithm is conservative but as long as you ascend slowly I've had no problems with five deep recreational dives a day on a Palau liveaboard. Plus if you own a Mac you should look at macdive - home for downloads!

There are many basic Air/ Nitrox computer models within the range you are looking for. As mentioned, the Zoop is a good one,.. also the Oceanic Veo 1.0 is good. I am sure there are basic models in just about any brand that will fit your needs. Basically you just need to shop around until you find all the features you want.

The Suunto Zoop is very easy to use and rather inexpensive. At my local shop (authorized Suunto dealer), the wrist-mounted Zoop was on sale for $225 recently.

The Aladin 2G would also be another computer to take a look at.

I recommend going to a local store and playing around with all of the computers they have. Get a sense for how easy it is to operate each one and then make your choice.

It can be helpful to join one or more local dive clubs. Not only will this expand your circle of dive friends but it will also increase your opportunities to dive. You could then ask all of your new friends what computers they'd recommend and whether they like the ones they currently own. If you ask nicely, they might even allow you to borrow their computer for a dive. :)

geo 2.0 or the veo series are good options....love the veo 3.0

+1 Suunto Zoop

I was looking at the Zoop.... On the Zoop can I change the batteries? And does it fuss at you if you are coming up to fast? I might be hung for getting one because my GF dad is a diver and has been for like 50 years and he doesn't trust or want a DC but I am new and just want to use the DC as a back up....

I was looking at the Zoop.... On the Zoop can I change the batteries? And does it fuss at you if you are coming up to fast? I might be hung for getting one because my GF dad is a diver and has been for like 50 years and he doesn't trust or want a DC but I am new and just want to use the DC as a back up....
Yes, the Zoop has a user-replaceable battery. My girlfriend has the Gekko, which is essentially the Zoop, and the battery was super-easy to swap out:

Yes, the computer has an ascent rate alarm that will beep, flash at you, and display "SLOW" to warn you to moderate your ascent rate. Exceeding the recommended maximum ascent rate will likely result in "penalties" for subsequent dives. The computer may also recommend extension of a safety stop. None of this should be surprising at all if you are familiar with Suunto dive computers. It's just the Suunto modified RGBM deco algorithm.

If you'll be diving often with your gf's dad and he prefers more aggressive dive profiles, you might want to consider getting a dive computer with a less conservative algorithm (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Cochran, Dive Rite, etc.). I personally have never felt overly restricted by using a Suunto computer, but there are some here on ScubaBoard that would prefer to have more freedom in selecting how aggressive-conservative the dive computer is. FWIW, one of my buddies had a Sherwood Wisdom (more aggressive than Suunto computers), and we had no issues diving together for several years. We'd simply made accommodations for the more conservative computer in the buddy team (mine).

Whatever computer you end up getting, please read the manual that comes with it and understand the deco read-out in case, for whatever reason, you find yourself in an unplanned deco situation.

used tech computers can be had fairly cheap as well. The Nitek Duo from DiveRite and all the other versions of that from the different brands can be had for around $200 ish and are great computers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom