Computer.... Which one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where is a sourse of information to find out what all features are available on computer???

Thanks
"D"

Try this link. There is a some information available here. Not sure if this is exactly what you wanted but it might help.

Dive Computer Training

KOOL! web site. thanks!!!!!!

"D"

There is online courses available that can help you understand what your computer is telling you and how to use it. Look for Alberto, a member of scubaboard, I am sure he will be glad to help you.

Rather than start a new thread--
Can I ask what computer you would suggest for a total technophobe?
Im talking a guy who has a 7 year old cellphone because all the new cellphones have whap and wop and have a GREAT CAMERA and all I wanna do is just call people.
Think KISS --in this case KISFS -keep it simple for stupid.

Last edited:
I currently own a Uwatec Aladin Prime 3 Gauge Computer Console. I've taken it on a few dives in the quarry and used it while getting my AOW certification. The SPG and compass are fine but I HATE the computer and got flustered and annoyed with the instructions, which rival tax law minutiae for sheer entertainment value and ease of comprehension. So, I'm looking for a new DC too and would also love some recs for DCs that are user-friendly. If anyone wants to buy my Dive computer, I'd be happy to sell it. It's only been on 8 dives in freshwater. It works fine, comes on automatically in the water and all that good stuff.

I don't know if it's too late but...

I have the Suunto Vyper Air and my only complaint it's that it's too restrictive about OPTIONAL SAFETY STOPS.

Just to put into context, I was diving in a quarry 4 weeks back in a quarry.
And I was almost/ close to be out of air. 400psi at surface.

While going to the ascent point we stayed over the 20ft line so 18-17. We stayed in the line with the computer going into safety stop on/off all the time. (the limit is 18ft, so you go to 18ft the computer puts itself automatically in safety stop mode)
I was at 600psi at the moment we started the safety.

My buddy and I looking at my pressure we decided to ascend after 1min30s in the safety stop.

Because of that the Suunto Computer gave a CRAZY penalty and I had like 20min less than the other 2guys we were diving with.

20min off a 40min dive is a lot.

I've been checking here and it looks like the Uwatec Tec 2G,
1)needs you to prompt the safety stop
2)safety stop in seconds instead of minutes
3) does not penalize you if you skip a safety stop.

Keep in mind, I will ALWAYS make a safety stop, but if I need to surface and skip the RECOMMENDED SAFETY STOP because of an emergency, I'd like the computer to ignore it. I always dive more conservatively than others and I just don't appreciate the computer making it even more so.

Also, I've also read that the Suunto penalizes yo if you ascend too fast, that IMO is good.

..........//..........He goes by the charts.... Old navy charts...which most he has memorized........//..........deal with multi dives such as lobstering (in the keys)... Where you go down 20 feet or less for a few mins and then get back in boat and go to another spot.... ................//..........

For this kind of diving: Pick a computer, any computer! USN Dive Table 3 gives unlimited time at 20 feet.

This means that you will never hit a required stop. Navy tables are more aggressive than any dive computer. You are a very good case for a dive computer, grinding through tables for this kind of diving is just plain dumb.

Get a computer that you like and chase bugs...

Last edited:
Get an Oceanic, they have the Dual Algorithm so you can pick and chose how you want to dive. If you want to be super concervative or more libral. The VEO 1.0 is a great entry computer that does everything you need it to. The nice thing about it is one the price as well as the fact that it is really easy to use. The VEO 1.0 is already an air and nitrox computer which is nice. The testing Oceanic is more intense than any other manufactuer. They test them to 275 feet 100 times then put it in an over to 130 degrees for 16 hours and then a final check. They do this to every computer ever made. There is no 5% to 10% sample test with Oceanic it is 100% so you don't get that lemon computer. If I were you I would go with and Oceanic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom