Computer.... Which one....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First Thank you bubble!
He goes by the charts.... Old navy charts...which most he has memorized.... When you say the Suunto has a more aggressive algorithm how much are we talking here? And how does the Zoop deal with multi dives such as lobstering (in the keys)... Where you go down 20 feet or less for a few mins and then get back in boat and go to another spot.... Anyone have and experience with this? Also will read and re read and then probably end up taking a online course that I have seen....if need be...

First Thank you bubble!
He goes by the charts.... Old navy charts...which most he has memorized.... When you say the Suunto has a more aggressive algorithm how much are we talking here? And how does the Zoop deal with multi dives such as lobstering (in the keys)... Where you go down 20 feet or less for a few mins and then get back in boat and go to another spot.... Anyone have and experience with this? Also will read and re read and then probably end up taking a online course that I have seen....if need be...
I believe I wrote that the Suunto has one of the more conservative deco algorithms on the market.

One thing to keep in mind while diving with someone who's using tables is that your computer will allow you to conduct longer dives for multi-level profiles. In contrast, table diving determines NDLs based on the maximum depth.

The Suunto modified RGBM penalizes saw-tooth dive profiles. I'd be concerned that the profile you described for your lobstering dives would be interpreted as a saw-tooth profile by the Suunto.

If your bug-hunting dives are that shallow (20 fsw or less), one option is to not use a dive computer at all for those dives. At that depth, you'll be gas-limited rather than NDL-limited anyway.

I believe I wrote that the Suunto has one of the more conservative deco algorithms on the market.

One thing to keep in mind while diving with someone who's using tables is that your computer will allow you to conduct longer dives for multi-level profiles. In contrast, table diving determines NDLs based on the maximum depth.

The Suunto modified RGBM penalizes saw-tooth dive profiles. I'd be concerned that the profile you described for your lobstering dives would be interpreted as a saw-tooth profile by the Suunto.

If your bug-hunting dives are that shallow (20 fsw or less), one option is to not use a dive computer at all for those dives. At that depth, you'll be gas-limited rather than NDL-limited anyway.

That is what I meant... Ok I will look into it... Thanks again....

Zoop or Vyper? Also where to get a deal? Who one the board offers members a break?
Vyper = Zoop + gauge mode + dive simulator mode
Zoop = Gekko + native support for Mac/PC downloads of dive profiles
With the right third-party software, dive profiles can be downloaded from the Gekko to a Mac/PC.

Some divers like to run a computer as a bottom timer ("gauge mode"). In this mode, NDLs are not displayed, but elapsed dive time (run time) and current depth are displayed.

Your best bet to get a good deal on a Suunto computer with a manufacturer's warranty is to find a local shop (authorized dealer) who carries Suunto computers and negotiate with the manager/shopowner. Locally, I've seen the Zoop at an authorized Suunto dealer for $225. That's a good deal. Expect to pay more for the Vyper.

Leisurepro.com will sell Suunto dive computers, but LP is not an authorized Suunto dealer so the manufacturer's warranty would not be in effect. However, LP offers a comparable "in house" warranty as a substitute. I've never personally had any experience with LP's "in house" warranty. Some people here on ScubaBoard report positive experiences with it.

I use Genesis React Pro. I have 2 just in case (had 3 but lost one in Cozumel last month, but that's a whole nother post). It's a good middle of the road setup, preset to 1.5 for nitrox, can't change like others (may be it's only fault). LeisurePro has on sale for 229.00 right now. top of my father's day list to replace the lost one.

TC

When I bought my Suunto computers my local dive shop was only moderately more expensive than online pricing, so I bought it from the shop.

Cochran EMC16
-set as conservative or as liberal as you want
-best logging of any computer (fact). (but need analyst software to view detail logs)
-1 sec intervals are standard
-proportional ascent
-can't outgrow until you add helium
-can do PO2 for rebreather if using 2gas mix
-easy to read in a glance
-change the batteries easily, and they are cheap
-built like a tank

Basically you just need to shop around until you find all the features you want.

where is a sourse of information to find out what all features are available on computer???

Thanks
"D"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom