Computer transmitter: permanently mounted on the first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GYANNI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got a computer with air transmitter, and I was wondering if I should mount the transmitter on the first stage and leave it there indefinitely but I'm afraid of damages when packing or traveling.
Should I just mount it when I am at the diving sites, since it look pretty easy to do?
Thanks for sharing.:ppd:

A lot of people do leave them permanently mounted, but you might want to consider connecting it too the 1st stage by a short piece of HP hose.

This stops people trying to pick up the tank by the transmitter

A lot of people do leave them permanently mounted, but you might want to consider connecting it too the 1st stage by a short piece of HP hose.

I'd second this.

I have left mine on for many years and dozens of trips with no bad consequences. But my manual--and yours too, probably--advises against it.

I was wondering if I should mount the transmitter on the first stage and leave it there indefinitely but I'm afraid of damages when packing or traveling.

Mine is mounted permanently. Travel with it extensively. Never had a problem. I pack my regs in a reg bag and take them as carry on luggage when flying.

A lot of people do leave them permanently mounted, but you might want to consider connecting it to the 1st stage by a short piece of HP hose.

a.) Since mine is typically mounted to a set of double 119's, no one would ever try to pick it up by the transmitter. Hell, no one ever picks up my tanks at all!

b.) Why on earth would you mount it on a piece of hose so that it can flop around and risk getting bashed into something or entangled. Plus the introduction of additional failure points. I think that's asking for trouble. Beyond that, is it even possible to find a hose that's appropriately threaded. I suppose it is, but I've never seen one in the ordinary course of events

I have left mine on for many years and dozens of trips with no bad consequences. But my manual--and yours too, probably--advises against it.

Suunto Vytec DS manual contains nothing to advise against leaving it attached at all times. I think taking it off all the time is simply begging to lose it.

I put most of my dive gear in a carry-on to help avoid rough handling and usually wrap the first stage with something to act as a cushion - a bootie, hood, towel, etc....transmitter remains attached.

Did you remove your SPG after every dive trip and then attach it at your next? or your reg and octo? Leave it attached. Just make sure your carry your own gear. I've had mine for 2 yrs and no problems with anyone trying to carry my tank via the transmitter. Regarding the hose attachment...I would not. Could bang around and cause damage. Transmitters are expensive. I wouldn't chance it.

Mine is mounted permanently. Travel with it extensively. Never had a problem. I pack my regs in a reg bag and take them as carry on luggage when flying.

a.) Since mine is typically mounted to a set of double 119's, no one would ever try to pick it up by the transmitter. Hell, no one ever picks up my tanks at all!

b.) Why on earth would you mount it on a piece of hose so that it can flop around and risk getting bashed into something or entangled. Plus the introduction of additional failure points. I think that's asking for trouble. Beyond that, is it even possible to find a hose that's appropriately threaded. I suppose it is, but I've never seen one in the ordinary course of events

Suunto Vytec DS manual contains nothing to advise against leaving it attached at all times. I think taking it off all the time is simply begging to lose it.

I agree with what you've said, regarding permanently mounting the transmitter, I do the same with mine without problems.

In regards to mounting it to a 6" HP hose, I've seen a few divers do that where this is physically no room to mount the transmitter directly to the first stage. Granted it is another failure point, but the people who dive them have never had any issues and like I said they didn't have a choice in the matter anyway.

I have mine on the first stage and had around 70 dives without a problem. Yet, I'm not so comfortable any more with others trying to help me lift my thank, though. If there's space for it, leave it on thr first stage but take care who grabs your tank when you get in and out, imho.

You are correct. I was mistaken. My D9 manual also does not advise against leaving it attached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom