computer suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_slm

New
Reaction score
I am looking to get my first computer and would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I am looking for a wrist mount hoseless air intergration, and multi gas. I have been looking at the oceanic oci, aqualung i450t, scubapro galileo luna, and the suunto eon steel. If anyone has used one of these computers I would appreciate any feedback. Or if someone has another suggestion I would love to hear it.

It's probably quicker for you to do a search here on SB on the models you're interested in, there are lots of user reviews on most of the more common computers on the current market

realistically I would not put emphasis on AI and actually get a much better computer for the same money, but if you must have wireless AI, then buy the Hollis DG03 with transmitter from DGX for $500, $600 with the download cable.

The Hollis DG03 only offers the PZ+ algorithm.

The Aqualung i450T is the same.

PZ+ is more conservative than the DSAT algorithm. The OCi offers both.

Do your homework (the thread I linked earlier would be a good start) and know what you're buying and why.

There's no compass in dg03, you'd have to go tx1 for that. As for the algorithm, I wonder if tx1 will let you set GF to 90/90 and whether that's gonna be liberal enough for those unhappy with "not DSAT".

TX1 will let you use GF 90/90, but nothing higher. If I could find a used TX1 for a decent price, I would be satisfied with that (as my backup computer). Compared to DSAT, it's close enough that any deco obligation it thinks you have will clear during a normal safety stop.

That's what I thought: 95 might be nicer, but 90 is probably close enough. I'd take it over oci and/or i450 on the price/features anyday.

Yeah, the H3 has 3 presets for GF, plus you can set your own custom. The Emergency GF setting is 95/95. I think that matches mostly closely to DSAT. But, the difference between 90 and 95 just isn't enough to make a difference on a purchase (to me).

I don't like how big the TX1 is, but for a good used price, I'll buy one because it does trimix and does Buhlmann w/GF. I'm working towards getting a Trimix cert eventually, so that has become a priority now.

Funny, really. Before I ever finished my OW training, almost 2 years ago, I posted a thread here where I had been doing my research and shopping and concluded that the TX1 looked like a good first computer choice for me. The Scubanati all told me that I was being dumb and I shouldn't buy one. Now, here I am, after trying what the Scubanati told me to buy, right back where I started.

Related: Now that Recreational Trimix is a thing, it seems like more companies would be making Rec-oriented computers that support Trimix. Right now, I can only think of the Eon Steel that supports Trimix and is really targeted at more of a recreational audience. The older SP Galilieos did, but the current ones do not. Obviously, the Shearwaters do, but they are definitely not being marketed to the Rec crowd.

I don't see why new stuff isn't comping out with just a single trimix program with He set to 0 and O2 defaulting to 21. For extra $$ we'll let you set the oxygen past 40% and for more extra extra $$ we'll tell you the "unlock sekret" to change the He% too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom