Computer Protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
I've seem lots of people talking about protectors for the display of computers, but can't find any for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any links? Sounds like the way to go. I think the name was Shark Skin?

Packing tape? Doesn't that leave a film if you take it off? Sounds like the best value, how well does it work?

Originally posted by Murdock325
I've seem lots of people talking about protectors for the display of computers, but can't find any for sale anywhere. Does anyone have any links? Sounds like the way to go. I think the name was Shark Skin?

Best protector film I have found is Tiger Skin byTiger Gear. My LDS carries it but you can also buy it online on their website.

It comes in a 6x9" sheet that you cut to shape for whatever you need it for. I use it on computer screen, my dive watch crystal, etc. It's thicker than packing tape, alot sturdier and doesn't leave a residue when removed. It's been on my computer for over 4 years and still looks brand new.

My question is how important is this computer protector. Is it more of a cosmetic thing to prevent the scratches. Would be curious how many people use or don't use protectors.

I posted an earlier thread about pits on my mosquito face after diving in a sandy environment and got a reply that most computer faces are made from plastic (vs glass or crystal in watches). Given the plastic face, how much abuse can a computer take. Are scratches etc a norm on computers ? I had to tilt mine at an angle to see the pits/indentations on the face. Have never done that to other used computers before but I certainly will next time.

Considering the relatively low cost of the protector vs. the computer, there's no way I would go without one. I'd rather have a scratch on the film (easily replaced) rather than the computer itself.
I've never dived without one, so I'm not sure just how much abuse the computer would have been able to handle.
...ok, just pulled out my computer to check; no scratches on the protector, so maybe it's unnecessary. But, why take the chance?

YMY:
You're the reason I started this thread, I too have the Mosquito and would just like to keep the face from getting scratched/knicked up like you posted. For $7, it's definately worth it. (I use a similar item on my Palm pilot.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom