Computer Protectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, it seems like a protector is necessary.

I just finished a 6 dive series with a new mosquito (my first computer). I had been diving previously with a Seiko watch. There isn't a scratch or mark on the Seiko but the mosquito seems to be significantly "scar-ed".

I am surprised that the computer does not have a more robust face ... especially since it cost almost 3X the Seiko.

Hi,

I use my Uwatec Aladin without protector and once scratched the glass on a dive. There is a 4 cm scratch on the display which I really felt bad about but I have come to realise it is mostly a cosmetic thing. The computer works fine, and you can't see the scratch underwater. On the surface it doesn't interfere with reading the display. (Of course too many scratches will eventually be a problem). I see my computer more and more as a tool and not as an ornament. (Of course if you also wear it outside the water like you can a Mosquito or Spyder it is different.) I still don't use a protector.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Wouter

While it is better to prevent scratches in the first place, there are a number of products that can be used to remove or reduce the severity of scratches once you have them.

I use a product for soft plastic windows in convertables, but they cost too much if your computer is the only reason you need it.

Rubbing compounds come in grits that can turn your plastic cover opaque, or that are too fine to make much of a difference. With a little experimentation and a couple of bucks (or your neighbor's stuff), you can greatly improve the appearance of your computer's plastic cover.

Hi Murdoch325,

Yes I would have paid $7 then, and I really regretted that I hadn't. But now I wouldn't anymore. I guess my point is that beforehand and just after I didn't want any mark on my Aladin, nobody could touch it, I wanted to keep it in pristine condition. Now I realise more that it is not about how it looks but about how it functions. A few scratches on the glass or on the plastic really don't matter. It even gives it that experienced look :wink: . If people want to protect their computer I completely understand but I think that it is mostly for cosmetic reasons (IMHO) which is fine.
(If I bought a nice and shiny new computer and it came with a protector I would certainly put it on, but I would know I would do it for myself not for the computer.)

Wouter

I am glad to hear that the scratches etc would just be cosmetic. I was concerned that it would affect the integrity of the glass/plastic and cause it the break at depth ... stress concentrations etc.

I agree entirely ... 7 bucks is a small price to pay ... I will definately protect it now ... but it is already scratched.

Let this be a caution to all ... the mosquito face scratches very easily !! It may just be cosmetic ... but it hurts !!!!!

I put packing tape on my Cobra display-works great.

Murdock325-
I'm going to try a Tagaderm on my Cobra too. It's a little 3M invention that is thin, clear plastic with a sticky back. We use them all the time to cover dressings and lines in the hospital. If it works I'll get you some.

Mike

I just peeled the old packing tape that was on my cobra and it didn't leave any marks but was a little hard to get off just cause the packing tape rips easily.

I thought that a Palm display cover would work on the computer display. They too are made of a thin plastic but are easier to apply than packing tape. Packing tape does work well, though.

OK here is my secret weapon.

Go to your local sign shop preferably one that also does automobile graphics and ask for a piece of 3m stonegaurd.

It works great! they may even give you a piece for free if it is scrap.

Back
Top Bottom