Computer Anti-virus Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Norton Anti-virus has expired. Is there another anti-virus/security software that anyone is really happy with that they can recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Well, I am no computer wiz FO SHO

But I had this sparky here yesterday (data retrieval crisis) and he said that Norton and Macafee slow your computer way down and that there are free versions out there just as good even better...some company with an AVG in it--I'll ask him because I said "good, take my computers and DO IT" I was just over it, you know?

Dandy Don has a lot of free tool links too. Speaking from my experience, I'd say get Lavasoft Adaware for malware protection, which busted my chops lately. Malware embeds in your browser and redirects it--very annoying. I hate this stuff.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download.html

I've been using avast for a few years now and haven't had any problems. I'm sure there are a few different ones out there but watch what you d/l. I'm sure others will pipe in with suggestions also. :coffee:

I agree with Dive Dawg. Avast is free and has kept me out of trouble for a more than a year now. One of the local internet service providers uses it on their servers. They use the not-free business version but they recommend Avast for home users.

There is a free version of AVG from Grisoft, it updates once a day (and only once a day) which is annoying in the overhead it puts on a PC when you first boot up but after its updated its fine. Takes a couple minutes is all on an older P4 2.0GHz Dell.

(For stuff that doesn't absolutely, positively require a PC I'm now using a Mac. :) And the absolutely, positively part is less and less running Parallels. YMMV.)

John

Norton antivirus, as mentioned does indeed use quite a lot of resources as well as the fact that its scanning process is slow and virus definition updates are late..
Overall not a very good antivirus program at all. Symantec, who make Norton Antivirus has even stated that they need to improve speed and reduce resource use...

Ive used several different AV programs and the ones Ive liked the best was Panda (which is not free) and AVG antivirus. They both scanned MUCH faster than Norton, the computer ran quite noticeably faster than with norton and they found viruses norton didnt find. So if you consider panda or AVG, neither of them will perform worse than what youre used to..

i have been very happy with avg free,forget norton and mcafee,i just had to take macafee off a brand new computer yesterday just so i could load up some software.

No one has mentioned Linux or OS X? :D

AVG Free. One of the best out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom