Computer Anti-virus Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go get an Ubuntu (or Fedora other bootable Linux) disk, stick it in your CD drive and reboot.

over my head, but curious.

...whats the advantage? does it get updated?

Not if you run the OS from a CD only, no.
If you install it, yes.

The advantage of a live disk is also the disadvantage. It runs from the CD/DVD and not your harddrive. This means you cant write files to the OS, which prevents you from getting viruses or other malicious software, but also prevent you from for example updating.
Its a very nice way of testing a new os without actually installing it tho.

Advantages:
  • The CD is immune to viruses, since it's impossible to infect a disk image without re-writing it
  • Even when installed to your hard disk, it's extremely difficult and unlikely to get infected with anything and doesn't require virus protection
  • It comes with a browser and most other things you'll need
  • It's free
  • If you like it, it gives you the option to install permanently
  • It uses a USB stick (thumb drive) for your personal files and settings untill installed on disk, then it uses your disk normally.
Disadvantages:
  • You can't update the OS unless you actually install it to your hard disk or download a new image (generally released a couple of times a year)
  • Some Windows-specific stuff won't run.
Linux isn't perfect, but I recommended it because it drives me crazy watching the whole Windows trojan/virus/spam-bot thing, which only exists because most of the world uses an OS that's insecure and infectable by design, which is then hobbled further by huge numbers of add-ons designed to plug an almost infinite number of holes.

AV software fights a losing battle to identify unknown software that "looks like a virus". Spyware software fights a losing battle to identify things that might give up your personal data, and firewall software blocks off ports that it thinks the outside world shouldn't connect to.

It's much nicer to start off with an OS where the user simply doesn't have enough rights to infect the OS, where downloaded files must be manually marked as "executable" before they can do anything, and where nothing talks to the outside world unless it's enabled.

I finally removed myself from the "arms race" and have been moving my customers out too. It's nice to step off the treadmill.

Terry

Norton antivirus, as mentioned does indeed use quite a lot of resources as well as the fact that its scanning process is slow and virus definition updates are late..
Overall not a very good antivirus program at all. Symantec, who make Norton Antivirus has even stated that they need to improve speed and reduce resource use...

Ive used several different AV programs and the ones Ive liked the best was Panda (which is not free) and AVG antivirus. They both scanned MUCH faster than Norton, the computer ran quite noticeably faster than with norton and they found viruses norton didnt find. So if you consider panda or AVG, neither of them will perform worse than what youre used to..

Dumped Norton a year ago and after trialling everything around settled on NOD32. Quick, has little impact on resources and up to now no effect on running any programs or downloading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom