Computer Anti-virus Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one has mentioned Linux or OS X? :D
Well... Unlike half the geeks on tech forums, I tend to try NOT yelling "GO MAC OR YOULL BURN IN HELL" every time a computer topic comes up..
The other half of course goes "WINDOWS 4EV4!"

:popcorn:

Others have already siad this, but AVG free works very well. for years my uni used to provide us with McAfee, but as others have noted it really slows down the system. AVG seems to work real well, and the computers ran faster when we upgraded.

That said, we don't really engage in activities which would push the software too much...

Bryan

No one has mentioned Linux or OS X? :D

Someone did. And its an irrelevant point - viruses exist for both of those OS's as well. Not as many as PC, but they are out there, and some are quite nasty.

Bryan

I am using Norton Anti-Virus Corporation verion (most updated version, 10.1.6. 6000). It is FREE. That is only reason why I am using.

When you need this Norton Anti-Virus SW, you are already infected a week before.

Their virus update is TOO TOO TOO LATE TO CATCH UP THE VIRUS..

I also use AVG and like it fine. It's a free download. I also have several spyware downloads on my computer. All work well together.

I've been running the Free AVG for a couple of years and it works great. I used to use TrendMicro and loved it, but can't beat the cost of AVG :wink:

B.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try out AVG!

Consumer reports Sept. 07

rates Trend Micro PC-Cillin number one in all categories (Software Suites, Virus, Spyware, Spam)

Norton/ Macafee somewhere in the mid-range

JB says ( he is reading it to me from Iraq) that Check Point is supposedly right up there.

AND....Important FOR ME!!!! ...you can install on up to three computers! so the kids, my desktop, laptop---saves some money.

Go get an Ubuntu (or Fedora other bootable Linux) disk, stick it in your CD drive and reboot.

You'll have a virus-proof system that contains a nice web browser, office and pretty much everything else you want.

If you decide you don't like it. Take out the CD and reboot.

It's much nicer to run an OS that lacks the capability of being infected without specific user approval, than it is to keep building new walls around one that can get hit with a "drive-by".

Also, before anybody jumps up and says "Linux can get infected", I realize that it's possible, but not by default. You have to work at it, and most new users wouldn't even know how.

Terry

My Norton Anti-virus has expired. Is there another anti-virus/security software that anyone is really happy with that they can recommend?

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom