complacent divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people are ok with the fact that instructors don't bother to show students what they need to know to keep out of the muck. They are ok with the fact that if you have more than 5 divers in a quarry the vis drops from 100 ft to 1 ft. They are ok with the fact that some of us get to watch a couple of ambulance runs every year. They think we are out to prove our own prowis rather than trying to educate divers so they can avoid the shlocks in the business. I just guess that after seeing the vis drop like that within an hour or two so many times and having my own diving ruined (not to mention having to pull a few out of the drink) I am just not ok with it.

I teach and love to teach, there is nothing better in this world then seeing someone who is interested, motivated, and dedicated to learning. I wouldn't get in the drink with anyone who wasn't.

What I don't like is the ******* who walks into the shop seeking out the cheapest, quickest way for his 12yr old to get certified, oh and don't try to caution against it because he is a PADI rescue diver and has done 50 or so dives, so he knows what is going on.

That is the kind of person that I am talking about.

We see them in all aspects of life,
The guy who owns the flash sports car but dosn't know how to downshift properly

The guy who has the $5000 mountain bike but dosn't know the difference between rebound and pre-load.

The only reason, it seems, that any one does anything now is because then can not because they should.

The only problem in this sport is that you could kill yourself and others very quickly, and no one likes pulling half dead people out of the river.

As Roak noted about doing one dive a thousand times, I related it to ingraining a bad golf swing on the driving range banging balls and not trying to correct a problem. If you don't see the problem, you can't practice fixing it.

My wife took her NAUI OW last June, and I must confess, as much I as uphold my agency, her instructor was an idiot. We did do a lot of training in our pool, and she was quite comfortable with all the skills, but her real training and learning began after she had her card. Hours of skimming the bottom in 1-5 ft. viz and doing drills has her as my prefered buddy. IF you're lucky enough to find an instructor that cares about the students skills, you're in that small precentage, IMO.

Complacency in diving as this thread starts out (once again IMO) was concerning some part time divers that seek only to have their "license" to SCUBA and not putting forth the time and effort to keep their skills up to a point where they are safe and enviormentally friendly.

tony

oh, and for a thousand words more, here's Bren in Blue water the first time on about her 35th dive or so.....
acd.sized.jpg

Pappy once bubbled...
Unfortuanately, most of us who are always learning and do not have the mistaken idea that we are "experts" are continually running into egotistical know-it-all's at dive sites and in the dives shops.
At least now, instead of calling them A#s H*%es, we can call them by their real names. The only proplem will be to figure out which of them to call " Dr. Jay" and which ones to call " Usil".
As much as I would like to stay and listen the their drivel, I think Iit will be more exciting and educational to watch the avacado dip turn black.

Hey guys - this is fun! Do you always kick lumps out of one another on this forum or are we supposed to engage in rational debate?

I'd just like to know. For future reference.

Irishdiver once bubbled...

Hey guys - this is fun! Do you always kick lumps out of one another on this forum or are we supposed to engage in rational debate?

Most of us like to engage in rational debate. The counter to the left of pappy's post indicates this is only his first or second post on this board. For the most part, people here trade rational opinions and tips, a few deeply rooted beliefs are hotly debated, a couple of "trolls" like to stir up friendly trouble now and then :poking:, and a few hotheads flame away :flame: and end up on everyone's ignore list.

Those who fit in stay, those who do not typically leave after a short while. I see you only have 8 posts. Welcome to our board. I hope you find it a friendly place.

Irishdiver once bubbled...

Do what ever you think best.

Pappy once bubbled...
As for PADI versus SSI. I hold both cards and while I preferred SSI's training method, I dive with people from both schools and I do not hesitate to entrust my life to them under water.

What's different about SSI training methods?

usil once bubbled...
I teach and love to teach, there is nothing better in this world then seeing someone who is interested, motivated, and dedicated to learning. I wouldn't get in the drink with anyone who wasn't.

What I don't like is the ******* who walks into the shop seeking out the cheapest, quickest way for his 12yr old to get certified, oh and don't try to caution against it because he is a PADI rescue diver and has done 50 or so dives, so he knows what is going on.

That is the kind of person that I am talking about.

We see them in all aspects of life,
The guy who owns the flash sports car but dosn't know how to downshift properly

The guy who has the $5000 mountain bike but dosn't know the difference between rebound and pre-load.

The only reason, it seems, that any one does anything now is because then can not because they should.

The only problem in this sport is that you could kill yourself and others very quickly, and no one likes pulling half dead people out of the river.

I still don't see what this has to do with complacent dive practises. You're talking about people with an attitude and a very short life expectancy.

The point I tried to make is that even the best trained and most experienced diver can become complacent. It's something that's difficult to guard against, particularly if you seldom dive in challenging conditions. When things go well, that's great. But then if and when something doesn't go as you expect it to, you discover you've dived without an SMB or a spare flashlight or your computer has failed and you haven't brought your tables with you.

The problem is not just with divers either, the problem is with people who are content with the status quo. We see them all the time and they are sadly a common fixture of modern life. The problem is, they only drive certain people crazy (not each other). I can't stand people like this...I just can't fathom why someone would take up a sport/hobby and then not care if they are good at it or not. I don't have to be the best at everything I do (there will always be someone better), but to just be complacent and not give a rat's keister about one's skill level is beyond comprehension (IMHO).

Why commit to doing something, spend money, buy gear, etc. and then not care if you are good at it or not? For example, I just took up snowboarding. My dive buddies talked me into it and gave me their version of the beginner's course (two runs down the bunny slope and then on to the blues), which apparently involves a lot of laughing on their part. Anyway, I was doing pretty well on the blues by the end of the day so I went back and did the smallest blue slope again and I looked pretty damn good (IMHO).

Too many divers are happy with that and will just stay on the "wimpy blue slope of scuba" for the rest of their lives, not caring what else is out there, not furthering their knowledge of dive theory/physics/physiology, and not caring whether their skills are solid or not. I can't stand those types of people and would rather they took up something else or at least stayed off the boats I frequent.

I don't have to be the best at everything I do (there will always be someone better), but to just be complacent and not give a rat's keister about one's skill level is beyond comprehension (IMHO).

So then the question is: When are you good enough???

I'll never be a good skier. I just barely manage a black every once in a while and I only ever skied one week a year (now even less - time for diving, you know:wink: ). Hoever, I really enjoy skiing. Would I like to be better- yes, but realisticly seen it's not going to happen.

The difference with diving is that that complacency - which is allright in many situations - could kill you when you'r diving! So maybe the quesion is wether the agenies will actually tell the students that this could be dangerous. And this could kill you. And a BOW course is just a learners permit. However, then it should also be possible to tell the students what they should master to be "good enough". And that is of course difficult.

On the other hand many divers with around 100 dives fell they are doing reaaly good and have a lot of eksperience but they mey just have done the one dive 100 times (as mentioned previously in this tread). Also doing mask clearing yesterday in the pool, my dive body and I both admitted that we havn't done a mask clearing in ages - as we have well fitting masks. There wasn't any problems with mask clearing. However, you mignt do a lot of dives but not be sufficienly aware that your last night dive was two years ago. Or your last dive to more that 20m was last summer.

So complacency is a dangerous thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom