complacent divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker once bubbled...

So then the question is: When are you good enough???

I'll never be a good skier. I just barely manage a black every once in a while and I only ever skied one week a year (now even less - time for diving, you know:wink: ). Hoever, I really enjoy skiing. Would I like to be better- yes, but realisticly seen it's not going to happen.

The difference with diving is that that complacency - which is allright in many situations - could kill you when you'r diving! So maybe the quesion is wether the agenies will actually tell the students that this could be dangerous. And this could kill you. And a BOW course is just a learners permit. However, then it should also be possible to tell the students what they should master to be "good enough". And that is of course difficult.

On the other hand many divers with around 100 dives fell they are doing reaaly good and have a lot of eksperience but they mey just have done the one dive 100 times (as mentioned previously in this tread). Also doing mask clearing yesterday in the pool, my dive body and I both admitted that we havn't done a mask clearing in ages - as we have well fitting masks. There wasn't any problems with mask clearing. However, you mignt do a lot of dives but not be sufficienly aware that your last night dive was two years ago. Or your last dive to more that 20m was last summer.

So complacency is a dangerous thing.
I agree with you on the complacency being dangerous and I think complacency could kill you in any demanding sport (skiiing for one), but don't want to continue with too many ski parallels.

You bring up a good point that I had not thought about..when is enough reached? I have no idea and hope others will continue the discussion, but I know I can't stand the people who know very little yet are happy about it and sometimes even argumentative. You know the types - "I don't need to know all that stuff...why would you need that to dive?" "That's a waste of time, I just follow the DM or my computer" "All this learning and skills are making diving not fun"

Allowing you gear to make up for poor or unpracticed skills is a moajor problem in this sport.

If your mask fits perfectly and you never do a clearing again, what happend when some one accidentally knocks your mask off and regulator out. PANIC!!

Even though most divers are just diving two three times a year, which is cool if thats all the time you have, but be sure befor you jump in the water that you have those basic skills in check as it may save your life some day.

An doing them once in you OW dosn't count!!

usil once bubbled...
Allowing you gear to make up for poor or unpracticed skills is a moajor problem in this sport.

But of course you wouldn't want us (divers) to buy bad gear :bonk:

Maybe the way through the wood would be to ask your self: Does the thought of somebody accidential rippen of my mask frighten me? Loosing the regulator? Losing the lift of the BCD/wing? Loosing the weight belt? Swimming in the surface 500 m with full gear and a current? Continue at will.....

If yes to any of that: Get some training!

And then we'll need to educate new divers that there is a real risk of those things to happen.

(Getting down :box: )

Back
Top Bottom