Compasses. Are they all alike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rat314

Registered
Reaction score
Springfield, Missouri 30 Miles North of Branson Mo
I'm looking to make a purchase on a compass. Can't decide if I should go with a module or perhaps a wrist mounted? Or Maybe a clip on with a retractable cord? And then there is always a hose mounted. It seems that there are many posibilities available.
I know that I want high precision, ability to read from the side and if I do go with a module then it must fit my console. Would appreciate any feedback from those with some hands on experience.
Thanks

Dave

Suunto sk7 is the most readable compass I've ever seen. It can be mounted in a suunto console or a wrist boot (my preference)

Got the wrist mount first. After a few uses then went for console mount. Like the idea of having everything in one place: you can check all data at once and one less thing to worry about forgetting to bring.

never use read on-the-side feature even both of mine have it. Guess it is for cave diving only, when space is limited.

The SK-7 is my choice, it has the ability to withstand a high degree of tilt and still provide an accurate reading - an important feature. I put mine on my wrist where it's easier to find and use, YRMV.

rat314:
I'm looking to make a purchase on a compass. Can't decide if I should go with a module or perhaps a wrist mounted? Or Maybe a clip on with a retractable cord? And then there is always a hose mounted. It seems that there are many posibilities available.
I know that I want high precision, ability to read from the side and if I do go with a module then it must fit my console. Would appreciate any feedback from those with some hands on experience.
Thanks

Dave
First question is, have you taken a Nav specialty yet? Reading a compass underwater, not knowing the basics of underwater navigation, is kinda pointless.

If you read the Adventures in Diving: Navigation Specialty (PADI), you get some basic ideas about different configurations and specifications of different compasses, and what they mean to you.

I agree about the Suunto, since that is what I have, but I would recomend a console mount. Here is the logic.

On both land and in the water, the most effective and accurate method to read a compass is to look "accross" it on your bearing, holding it directly in front of you centered on your body. There is no real argument here, though everyone has a preference.

You will find, especially if you have land-based navigation experience, that driffting from your bearing is VERY VERY easy at depth.

So, my recomendation is a console mount, liquid filled compass with a floating disc (vs. a needle). I'd also say grab a course in underwater navigation, it is pretty useful stuff.

I love the Suunto...

I like the retractor as it's gadgety...wrist mounts, I tend to forget and have lost a few...hose mounts are great, as they're always where you left 'em. It's a bit of personal choice - but the more extra pieces, the more pieces to forget!!

I started out with mine on a retractor. It was okay 'til the retractor stuck all the way out. Now I have it set up with 2 bungies and wear it on my wrist.

I vote for the SK7. Here's why. It has the highest tilt angle in the industry so far as I've seen. What this means is that you can tilt it steeper than any other compass and still have it work rather than lock up on you. This is important in diving. You may think you are flat and level, the truth may be otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom