Compasses. Are they all alike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeet,
That's a good point you make.

I've been with new divers doing navigation runs and watched them ascend or descend from the planned depth because they were concentrating so intensely upon their azimuths that they weren't aware of any of the other dive parameters.

It gives the unexperienced diver a quick cross check of their dive conditions along with their heading.

of course we could recomend the Suunto D9 when it comes out...wireless AI, computer and digital compass that is captured in the samples...pretty sweet.

skeet:
SUUNTO - the best - console because you can monitor depth easily as you go along.
Not trying to start something here, but, every console mounted compass I've seen was on the back of the console, thereby eliminating the ability to see depth and compass at the same time. However, if you have a wrist mount compass and computer you can have right next to each and see both all the time.

Just my .02 worth.

Quarrior:
Not trying to start something here, but, every console mounted compass I've seen was on the back of the console, thereby eliminating the ability to see depth and compass at the same time. However, if you have a wrist mount compass and computer you can have right next to each and see both all the time.

Just my .02 worth.
The SUUNTO is on top of the console, in the front...see it here.
http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...older_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1102290057663

RICoder:
The SUUNTO is on top of the console, in the front...see it here.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one.

another vote for the sk7 mounted right above my cobra

Quarrior:
Not trying to start something here, but, every console mounted compass I've seen was on the back of the console, thereby eliminating the ability to see depth and compass at the same time.
Yeah, that's just one of the two common console housing designs that fit three modules. The other generic housing type has the compartments all on one side.

I had the former type originally, but quickly switched to the latter. I recommend the same whenever I see the other type in use. No real advantage to it as far as I can tell.

I have an Oceanic compass, it seems to take tilt pretty well - but i keep it rock solid flat anyway. I have it on a retractor, but am thinking of wrist mount (w/bungees) in the future.

As for the whole console thing (i dont use a console anymore, but have handled adn dived quite a few) - a quick flick over to see the depth is all you need. If you have some viz and reference points you dont need to stare at the compass all the time, aim at a point on the bearing you are after - swim to it, you can check depth on the way as well as air and time if you like. Staring at the compass can distract from the dive itself, or at least seeing stuff around you. I have my depth guage in my computer on my wrist, so no harm seeing that anytime i want it :wink:

As for the smartalec comment, all compasses point north, so yes they are pretty much the same :wink:

archman:
Uwatec has a digital compass out, similar if not the same to a model they no longer have in production.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...dex=15&CategoryID=957&Context=954&Filter=2=48

I've always been curious about these things, but haven't had a desire to pony up the requisite cash.
I had one sold it soon after, to make a simple task harder use one! its a royal pain the guy I sold it to had it for sale soon too. By the way after many years of hose mounting a compass I now have come full circle and wear it wrist mounted.

Back
Top Bottom