Compass - rec'd on one to purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm taking the Adv Open Water class in a couple of weeks and I just found out I need a compass. I asked about renting one but they told me since I'm going to the GBR for a 5 day liveaboard that I should think about purchasing my own. I have no idea what to look for? Brands? Cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Suunto SK7 has worked well for me. Get a bungie mount from Deep Sea Supply for wrist mount.

Henrik

I'm not a tech diver, but I prefer to have my gauges with important diving information on my wrists. That means that I wear my dive computer and my compass on my wrists. I highly recommend the Suunto SK7 compass. It functions nicely at various tilt angles. It is quite durable and has a handy luminescent display that can be charged up with a light during night dives. It can be purchased with a wrist strap...but I prefer the rubbery wrist boot sold by Deep Sea Supply. You can then attach a couple of bungee loops to the wrist boot. The assembly slips onto your wrist very easily. I like this attachment method because I don't have to re-adjust things when I go from my drysuit to a wetsuit...I just wear the compass a little higher up on my arm.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Good luck with your purchase.

Should we start another Suunto SK-7 compass users census thread? :D They're so great, I'm almost tempted to use mine when I'm hiking, too. :biggrin:

SK7 ... one of the things that make it better than most others is the ability to be tilted more and still be free to turn and show an accurate heading
.. I like the DSS boots too, but to save money in the mean time, I converted the SK7 strap on wrist mount to a bungee mount (in my pic gallery)

Last edited:
Ditto on SK7, if you get the DSS boot you can buy the SK7 consol mount and save 10 bucks.

Wow!! Thanks for the quick replies! The SK7 seems to win hands down. I'm on leisurepro.com and I'm not sure what the counsel mount and DSS boots are about? Can someone describe for novice me? Is it better than going the wrist mount route?

I have an SK-7 and it's a great compass, the quality is worth the money. But I also have a cheap $40 wrist compass that also gets the job done. I'd worry more about the quality of the navigator than the compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom