Compass - rec'd on one to purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow!! Thanks for the quick replies! The SK7 seems to win hands down. I'm on leisurepro.com and I'm not sure what the counsel mount and DSS boots are about? Can someone describe for novice me? Is it better than going the wrist mount route?

The wrist strap does come with it. Some people replace the wrist strap with bungie cord. Much easier to don and doff. The DSS (Deep Sea Supply) boot replaces the whole mount, much lower profile.

Suunto also makes the same compass in a console mount, thats fits a Suunto console, LP also sells these, they are about 10 bucks cheaper that wrist mount. If you are going to discard the mount and use a DSS mount, then buy the console type.

If you just want to go out of the box and then later modify, get the wrist mount.

Here you go ... Deep Sea Supply

Tobin makes inovative and quality gear, is a nice guy, and very helpful to boot :)

Okay, I think I'm understanding now. so, you can buy the compass already mounted to sit on your wrist or you can buy it without the mount with the intention that it would go into a console with your other gauges or you can purchase this bungee ready mount making it more low profile and easier to get on and off?

Last questions...does it come with the bungees or do you purchase those seperate? And if I'm going to go this route I want to buy the SK7 without the wrist mount? Anyone have a link for that? I really need to make this easy. Sorry about that.

thanks!

The DSS mount I bought came with about a foot of bungee.

I have both a Suunto SK7 and a Uwatec FS-1. The difference between them is huge. The Suunto works almost any time I look at it, without bothering too much to adjust the tilt. The FS-1 requires attention in order to place it horizontaly. The bezel of the SK7 is easier to adjust with gloves.

Go for an SK7. It's only issue (in my opinion) is a cheaper feel (because of the materials used), but considering how great it really works, the fact that the plastic of the bezel looks cheap it doesn't matter.

My SK7 is the retractor version ( http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTSK7R ). The retractor works great and I find it easier to hold than when placed on my wrist.

I see that the DSS does not come with bungee cord now, but ... call or email Tobin and talk to him, he'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have (and I bet he'll throw in a foot or two of bungee) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom